PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Knapek Hooks

Moderator: Viking Lars

Morsie
Answers: 0

Knapek Hooks

Post by Morsie »

What are these like? Strong? Well made? Never heard of them before....
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
flickingfeathers

Re: Knapek Hooks

Post by flickingfeathers »

HI Pete,
I've only used the jig and Czech nymph hooks. They have a matte black, japanned finish and long barbless, "competition" style point. Plenty strong enough for any trout or grayling. Haven't used anything else in their range.

Martyn
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I asked Jelko on the Pliva who competes, he says they “very good”. :D

I’m sure that tells you as much as it does me!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Haha, well I guess that's better than "Shit".
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Hi Morsie
I have used these for most of my trout flies for some years - no barb, as Martyn notes, so great for competition (although I am hesitant to admit on this forum that I participate in this particular aspect of fly fishing :D ). A rather unusual profile visually, but in my experience all function well - extremely sharp. They only go as small as size 16 which can be awkward for smaller size flies.
I have not actually bought for some time now (I buy enough to last for quite a while when I do buy - some credit cards have, for some obscure security reason, over the years been sceptical on the country of origin, occasionally making payment difficult), but I have only purchased on the Knapek site and Jindrich has taken a personal interest and has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.
Jon
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Thanks for that information Jonathan, most appreciated. I have an opportunity to buy a large number of them, mostly streamer and salmon hooks here in Oz at what I hope will be a good price, but never having heard of them before I was uncertain. I have had my hands on them for a looksee, and yes all of these are barbless with long points. Will make an offer..........
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Hi,

I have tried them some years ago and found that the wire at the hook eye was very sharp and so caused the tying thread to break. This might have been a bad batch though, but I didn’t see a good reason to try again after this rather frustrating experience.

Cheers,
Thomas

Return to “Flytying”