PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Indicator Fly / Indicator with a hook

Moderator: Viking Lars

BobHarry76
Answers: 0

Indicator Fly / Indicator with a hook

Post by BobHarry76 »

How do you make a dry fly more buoyant when you are using it as an indicator. IE is there an improvement that can be made to a Klinkhammer to help support a couple of nymphs and avoid it getting sunk?
We are not talking about a dryfly here, only a very buoyant indicator, with a hook, that will occasionally hook a fish that rises rather than taking the nymphs.
I appreciate that some do not like this method. Sorry in advance to those that don’t.
BobHarry76

Re: Indicator Fly / Indicator with a hook

Post by BobHarry76 »

This was my initial solution, but following discussion with others, it’s suggested that this will be no more buoyant than the original.
Attachments
0FC861FB-2EA9-4848-A209-4EDA6392218D.jpeg
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

If you’re not set on it being an emerger
I’d go for something with deer hair... either a sedge or I started using a ‘found link’ deer hair body and wing/sighter...

They link is pretty unsinkable... both the body and wing are very buoyant
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Not sure a Klink is the best option. But foam and deer hair will certainly add buoyancy. I use foam back humpies, suspender royal FUps.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

A Klinkhamer doesn't float - it hangs in the surface film on the parachute hackle, so it cannot, as you've experienced, support weighted flies. Adding buoyant materials materials above the hackle doesn't help as they're not in contact with the water. They are of course very light, which doesn't harm :-).

I'd go for a foam beetle!

Lars
piffilus

Post by piffilus »

I have made klinkhammers with a large 5 or 7 mm foam as post and a sheep girl ring far down the bend. The are just enough buoyant to have two droppers hanging from it and staying visible.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I suppose it depends on the type of water you are fishing. The sort of water where I’ve fished indicator dry flies has normally been fast broken NZ water. There you need something that stands up and stands out.

Incidentally I found that if instead of seal’s fur I used some sort of light bright dubbing - Sorry I don’t know the names but it’s supposedly peacock dubbing substitute that is flashy and dubs like SF - that with this the fly stood out much better.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 »

Thanks Paul. I will try this.
Tail is deer hair, body is poly-yarn with foam and a poly sighter and double hackle. Pretty much every ingredient should add some buoyancy and not take on water.
We’ll see.
Attachments
E3C4274C-9C24-4CCF-ADFD-E19A93466823.jpeg
BobHarry76

Post by BobHarry76 »

I agree by the way re the type of water.
I think it is similar to trotting a float. One size does not fit all situations. Sometimes it has to be bulky and buoyant, sometimes it need to be critically balanced to detect the slightest touch.
I find klinks are great in slower water where you can use smaller and lighter nymphs, but they won’t support bigger or tungsten flies.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve used very similar to your foam back Humpy here in the jungle, Bob. But not to carry nymphs but instead to float flies with bonefish hooks for Gourami.

I don’t know if you tie off the bend or use a dropper knot? I much prefer the presentation off a dropper. But if it’s only a short distance from dry to nymph I tie off the bend. It’s not perfect especially with barbless hooks.

Another important consideration is that the fly doesn’t spin. Floating foam fry patterns are an excellent example of a fly that would be a great indicator fly on the reservoirs at the right time of year, but always seem to spin on the droppers.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”