PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tying with today's synthetics

Moderator: Viking Lars

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Tying with today's synthetics

Post by Lou Bruno »

First allow me to say, when I started fly tying we didn’t have an abundance of synthetic material.
I learned different tying procedures to accomdate the material I used.

Recently most of my fly tying has been centered on saltwater patterns...baitfish, crabs, and shrimp patterns.

I stopped at a local fly shop for some material. I was a bit surprised to learn that the biggest demand was for premade dubbing brushes...EP brushes.
The store clerk told me, that tyers simply purchase the different size brushes and tie them on to obtain the shapes, colors and movement.

I realize how easy and quick tying with this material is, and I don't judge it, it has its place. But I quess I'm wondering if this is a good thing or bad thing?

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Tying with today's synthetics

Post by Paul Arden »

My flies are a bit of a mess, Lou, so maybe I’m not the best qualified to answer :) However I will anyway!

I’ve been tying flies for about 40 years. I’ve shunned moulds, not so keen on rubber legs. What I do like about these synthetic fibres is their ability to shed water, their translucency and movement (over buck tail) and their durability. I don’t use them because they are easier to tie, rather because they are translucent first and that for me makes them better fish catchers.

Seal’s fur I cannot say the same about. There are lots of synthetic blends but I don’t think the genuine stuff has been beaten.

Anyway it’s better for the bucks :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I find dubbing brushes kinda funny considering how easily a dubbing loop can be made and used.

There use is unquestionable but a definite sign of a fly tier either too lazy to learn or a novice.

Great money maker for the shops though!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah right, dubbing brushes... never heard of them! My idea of a dubbing brush is a lollipop stick with some Velcro epoxied to the end that I use to make flies even messier. From Gary’s description I can guess what it is however. A bit like EP Christmas tinsel?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
flickingfeathers

Post by flickingfeathers »

I think it depends a lot on the aim. A brush is a quick solution for someone who wants to knock out a few flies in 20 minutes for tomorrow's trip, or for someone who's not too keen on tying generally. I can make a loop easily, but to prep all the materials that go in some of the compound brushes would take a bit of time. I don't see any difference between using a dubbing brush, and using a pre-mixed material like SF blend- I could mix my own, but generally don't.

Return to “Flytying”