PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Super glue and saltwater

Moderator: Viking Lars

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Super glue and saltwater

Post by Lou Bruno »

Do we know what effect saltwater might have on EXPOSED super glue...if any?
Lou
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Super glue and saltwater

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Really depends on the superglue? Most gets brittle in water, some don't.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

So, if it could become brittle, there's a possibility that the glue could break. Then lose its adhesiveness.
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

So, best to layer the glue with thread wraps...or something else. Depending on application I guess.
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Superglue comes unstuck for me in water. This is because it sets through evaporation. I use it in poppers, when leading flies etc but it won’t stick eyes and it will eventually fall apart.

I know people who swear by UV glues. They don’t work well for me either. It depends on the application but epoxy may be best. It’s a pain to use.

What’s it for, Lou?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am Superglue comes unstuck for me in water. This is because it sets through evaporation.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

'Super' glue is a brand name for a cyanoacrylate adhesive. These cure due to the presence of water (moisture in the air) causing the polymerisation chain reaction.

I use superglue in my saltwater flies - firstly to secure the initial wrapping of thread, then I add some around the dumbbell eyes. I don't worry too much about deterioration because all the fish I cast will mess it up before the glue fails :D

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah! Thanks for the correction! This I didn’t know :) :)

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am Superglue comes unstuck for me in water. This is because it sets through evaporation. I use it in poppers, when leading flies etc but it won’t stick eyes and it will eventually fall apart.

I know people who swear by UV glues. They don’t work well for me either. It depends on the application but epoxy may be best. It’s a pain to use.

What’s it for, Lou?

Cheers, Paul
Paul
I've been trying simple tarpon flies that use rabbit strips. I super glue the strips. Without giving a list of all my flies, I've been trying different saltwater flies. Different sizes, material, natural and synthetic also. I use super glue, gel on most of my flies along with UV resin on some.
Lou
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

James
So is using super glue a waste?
Any alternative?
Loi
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,
I think for rabbit strips just tie it Matuka style. I sometimes put a small dollop of UV glue at the tail connection to the hook bend to stop tail wrap but there are other ways of avoiding it. Eg a loop of nylon that the strip rests on or is even needled through. (I can’t remember where I learned that - Matt Klara I think). I too like rabbit strips although in the salt, however I’ve often found that the teeth bite through them!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flytying”