PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Video camera

Moderator: JanMan

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Video camera

Post by Paul Arden »

Managed to kill my GoPro in Russia. :p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
WJC
Answers: 0

Video camera

Post by WJC »

Tom Benson wrote:Heck... do you suggest, that my Canon 6D & 7D are redundant ?
Tom
I don't know anything about photography, Tom, but those cameras sound too high tech for me. I need something with only a few options to mess up. What I was after was a high frame rate without a fish eye lense. I would have much preferred a regular video camera with big batteries, optical zoom etc, but ones with a fast frame rate are too expensive for me.
Paul Arden wrote:Managed to kill my GoPro in Russia. :p
Hopefull this one will last a while and I don't lose it or "misplace" it for months. The latter happens most frequently for all my stuff under 1,000 lbs.
Tom Benson

Video camera

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi I was being facetious... bought the 7D whilst I was on a 5 year ( Sabbatical ) Conservation & Wild life surveys.
Bought the 6D ; when more Grandchildren arrived. Would always recommend the latest Canon
G series...
Tom
Jason Stratford

Video camera

Post by Jason Stratford »

Nikon AW1 has a couple of very high frame rate video modes...400 and 1600 frames per second.

Depends on what you need the video for as quality is dropped from 60 frames per second at 1920x1080 down to 640x480 to achieve the high rates. The high frame rate quality is perfect for analysis of casting mechanics!
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.
alp

Video camera

Post by alp »

Hi,

We do not necessarily need a professional DSLR or video cammera for our casting analysis. Among others there is a Sony RX100 Mark IV pocket camera that captures 1,000 fps, but only for a few seconds. This is 20X slow motion, but not very practical. Similarly with RX 10 Mark II which is basically larger version of the RX 100 camera. Not cheap cameras, but cheaper, smaller and lighter than a professional DSLR.

Yet, many frames per second we need only for smooth, nice looking slow motion video. For practical technical analysis of our casting more important are manual video controls. With shutter priority mode or manual mode on 1/500 – 1/1000 sec, with 60 (50) fps, we can have a video, or series of still photos, which perfectly show all important stuff. Both line and fishing rod will be clearly visible.

Cheers
Alex
Graeme H

Video camera

Post by Graeme H »

If you're after something for instructing and analysis, just download the HUDL Technique app for your phone. It's free and allows a fairly in-depth suite of tools for analysing the cast. The phone will shoot at 240 fps and the app lets you scroll through with a "scrubber" on a frame-by-frame basis if required.

There's a pretty good review of the app in reference to fly casting analysis here.

This doesn't help Paul in his search for a video camera for fishing though. My next one will be the Nikon AW1, I think.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
alp

Video camera

Post by alp »

Partly familiar with Paul's lifestyle and requirements, this is the perfect camera for him in combination with good mobile phone and Go-Pro Silver for rain and underwater.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZ8bHre2qs

Whatever you heard or read about this funny thing, it produces excellent pictures and more than decent video. Reliable but inexpensive, easy to transport, easy to handle and easy to share on the Internet ... If the boat is sinking, just throw it away and buy a new one.
LauraPalmer

Video camera

Post by LauraPalmer »

While gopros certainly have their place, I usually quit watching a fishing video which is shot by one. I guess I´m spoiled with all the great videos that are available nowadays... I shoot with a dslr and while it can be annoying to carry around, it also can be done without breaking it...

With all the sexyloops forum, shop and new rod stuff going on, I certainly would up my game in terms of video Paul :p
Tom Benson

Video camera

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Laura.. good post ... I am in process of selling my Canon DSLRS... would always advise using DSLR..
Next purchase.. Canon 5D..... not so much fishing : more " Grandchildren ".
Tom
Tom Benson

Video camera

Post by Tom Benson »

New Canon 5D latest mk . available.... Stills & Video , very nice :sick:

Return to “Photography”