PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sailfish on Fly - Kuala Rompin (Malaysia)

Moderator: JanMan

Jason Stratford
Answers: 0

Post by Jason Stratford »

Hi All,

A couple of shots from a recent trip to Kuala Rompin in Malaysia - targetting Sailfish.

These fish will find any weakness in your system, be that knots, flylines, hooks and even the drag in your reel. (A couple were 'smoked' during the week).

Interestingly, this trip provided a chance to perform some stress testing on Redington's new Behemoth 11/12 reel which handled these sails flawlessly. Its the best value reel for the occasional heavy species fish stopping at a USD $129.95 retail price. Its drag is super powerful which....if I am not mistaken...is claimed to be around 30lbs! I will post a review of the reel on the forum also.

These were 'tease and switch' captures (totalling 38 fish for our group) with all fish swum well and returned in good health!
1 Behemoth 1.jpg
3 Teaser follow.jpg
4 Jump 3.jpg
Cheers

Jason
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Look similar to the Kola Salmon reel I have, although a much stronger drag! How did you find the trip? I have a lot of friends in KL who regularly go there. I fished for Sails one day with Jono in Exmouth. Was fun - although we weren't teasing.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Stratford
Answers: 0

Post by Jason Stratford »

Hi Paul.

Kuala Rompin holds probably the largest aggregation of sailfish anywhere in the world. The numbers of fish you see is staggering. They are gobbling down bait balls constantly so casting to free swimming fish is not really successful (why chase something when you have ample food surrounding you I suppose). Teasing ensures a hot fish to cast at.

Well worth a look...though there are only one or two operations that are geared for fly anglers. Dominic and Ian from Fishzone Sportsfishing were excellent. (www.fishzone.com.sg)
A perfectly laid down 60 foot cast will catch more fish than casting to the backing knot on your 120' fly line...particularly when most times you'll just throw an 80 foot 'wiggle cast'.

Return to “Photography”