PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fishing camera?

Moderator: JanMan

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Fishing camera?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Can someone recommend a point & shoot fishing camera? I seem to have lost my old Pentax Optio. It was old and only 3mp, but it did me fine. I'm leaning toward an Olympus TG since I have the video version and won't have to learn a new system, but wonder if there is better?

Or... are cameras even necessary anymore? Should I just upgrade to a new cell phone?

Thanks!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fishing camera?

Post by Paul Arden »

I use the Tough TG4. It takes some decent video too. Cell phone is a pain to mount and a bit risky for me!

I have a float attached to the camera so when it falls overboard I don't lose it :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens

Fishing camera?

Post by Neil Owens »

Tough TG4 here too. I mount it in the olympus 'case'

Fitting a polarising lens on the front instead of a uv dust filter means you get some great shots of skies and fish in water!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Fishing camera?

Post by Paul Arden »

That will be my next purchase. It's a pity there is no ability to fit a wireless microphone. That would be useful.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
cormorant

Fishing camera?

Post by cormorant »

I'm in the same position - lost my old olympus waterproof, so have been researching a replacement.

Sadly none of the idiot-proof waterproof compact cameras on the market are in my view fit for purpose. By definition a waterproof camera is for use outdoors where the sun shines and then you can't see the lcd screen. They need a separate optical viewfinder, but none of them have one.

Reviews seem to rate the TG4/5 lcd screen as better than most. Olympus tough series does seem the way to go.
James9118

Fishing camera?

Post by James9118 »

Tracy and I bought a couple of waterproof cameras last year - a cheap (but quite effective) point and snap one for me and an Olympus Tough 870 for her. Seeing the LCD screen on the Olympus in the Bahamian sunshine wasn't a problem.

James
cormorant

Fishing camera?

Post by cormorant »

.....so I just got me a tough TG2 at a bargain price. Thanks for the endorsement all.

Return to “Photography”