PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Carrying around a DSLR for fishing?

Moderator: JanMan

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Carrying around a DSLR for fishing?

Post by Paul Arden »

Nice - completely concur with their mission statement! :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Limpe Iven
Answers: 0

Post by Limpe Iven »

nicholasfmoore wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 pm

Nice photos, Limpe! I'm assuming the OCF was to the left of the anglers? Did you put it on a tripod and use a light modifier, or was it just a straight flash? Looks great! absolutely, by the time you add up the weight it can get very heavy indeed! Do you use an external battery pack for the flash?

Nick
Actually, 2 speedlights, held by 2 persons... pocketwizard triggers.
too much hassle.. but at times the effort will show in the results. Loved to work with small speedlights.

the Dorado is actually a bonefish :laugh:
Cheers!
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi All,

Hi Limpe, that looks very nice nice indeed! Interesting to know that you used 2 speed lights, i love working with small lights, the studio lights with battery packs are a pain. The Elinchrom lights are very nice, especially the portable battery pack stuff. I do prefer broncolor and profoto. Have you tried Profoto's A1 flash? That thing is amazing!

Ah i meant Jasons first photo :cool: sorry for the confusion! Your bonefish photo is very nice, was the underwater shot taken with a GoPro?! If so i am very impressed.

The peak designs V3 is a really nice little gadget, strong as hell and quite reasonable priced. I haven't used mine for a long time because i usually handhold my big lens or my camera now. I do like the black rapid strap.

The other thing i was looking into was a Gear Keeper to hold a small point and shoot or a mirrorless camera, might be worth looking into do you think?

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Limpe Iven

Post by Limpe Iven »

Personally, i think all camera systems are a compromise compared to the speed, versatilty and quality of a dslr.
On the other hand, some mirrorless camera systems do have some great features like the ability to sync at extreme high speeds when working with (off camera) flashes wich could result in dramatic results without the flash power needed, one of the reasons i like the speedlights so much, small, light and with the right camera system enough power to overpower the sun.
Worked with elinchrom a lot, mostly when shooting with a dslr (image quality and the slow syncing speed would ask for more power), even worked with a generator to power big studio heads wich brings me to your original post.

When fishing i am fishing, the camera is just there for registration but for some reason, when i'm encountering a supernice scene i always regret that i didn't bring this or that camera with this or that objective, a compromise.
Totally different from heading out with gear to get the best image possible.

Lately the gopro works fine for registration, it also records gps location, great for archiving the spots, and with some post processing the images are quite usable.

Cheers!
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

:D Sounds great, Limpe!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:

Return to “Photography”