PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Film Thread

Moderator: JanMan

Will
Answers: 0

Film Thread

Post by Will »

But I agree with you, Paul, about the bulk of the films out there and the gung-ho piss-it-up nature of some of them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys are having drunken head butt contests off camera.
Have you seen any of Paul's early 'Loops DVDs? :D

W.

PS I liked A River Somewhere too.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
petevicar

Film Thread

Post by petevicar »

I had a look at the Los Roques film in the series. It is the only place in all those films that I really know well.
The shots of the island Gran Roques were very nice but I think the film failed to capture the excitement of fishing for bonefish.
They also waste half of the film before they actually go fishing.

These guys are too layed back for me, emotionless.

This film must also be at least 20 years old as Alex Gonzales looks very young in it.
IANACI
Stu Jamieson

Film Thread

Post by Stu Jamieson »

petevicar wrote:These guys are too layed back for me, emotionless.
They're Aussies. ;)
Stu Jamieson

Film Thread

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Tapâm

The beauty of Tapâm is in it's simplicity.

At a brief 30mins, this film by photographers Daniel Göz and Jan Bach Kristensen never overstays it's welcome. There is no compulsion here to create an hour of needless supplementary crap in order to fill out a DVD; rather Göz and Kristensen have distilled straight to the good stuff, allowing the content to dictate the running time and not the reverse. Make no mistake, there is beauty in the economy alone of Göz and Kristensen's presentation.

Tapâm is an easy, relaxing watch, best shared with a glass of whisky (or whatever your favourite spirit), letting the beauty and wonder wash over you. Daniel and Jan are amiable hosts whose easy going nature and respect for their sport is commensurate with their passion and, luckily for the rest of us, their photographic aesthetic.

The secondary title is "A Flyfishing Journey" but it's more than a journey - it's a complete, rounded and concise document. A record of the geography, biology, conservation and indigenous culture of this undisclosed Central American fishery. Details of these elements come in tiny photographic snippets - a frog here, a torrential downpour there, a brief exchange with a canoeing local over there - but it all adds up to a surprisingly complete picture of the locale. Achieving this within it's brief 30mins is a significant accomplishment. While a little more information on the target species would be welcome, on balance Tapâm achieves more visually than many films with words included.

And, of course, on top of all this there is the enormous tarpon - all hooked on a float tube - which is simply breathtaking.

A well deserved 4 Joans
JanMan

Film Thread

Post by JanMan »

Hi Stu,

Thanks for taking the time to review our little movie. It's always great to hear to hear that people enjoy it - even a few years down the road :)

Best fishes,
Jan
Stu Jamieson

Film Thread

Post by Stu Jamieson »

Cheers Jan. And great work on the film too mate. :)
Daniel also sent me Gaula. I'll get a review up for it soon.
Have you made any more films yourself, Jan? Would be very interested in seeing them if you have. :)
JanMan

Film Thread

Post by JanMan »

No, haven't made any other films and not planning on it, either.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Film Thread

Post by Paul Arden »

I really enjoyed Tapam. I haven't seen half the films Stu has, but of all the ones I've seen this has been my favourite!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
JanMan

Film Thread

Post by JanMan »

Happy to hear that, Paul :blush:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Film Thread