PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Replacing the running line on a flyline.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Thomas
Answers: 0

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody,

The running line on one of my flylines is ruined and I was thinking about replacing it with a coated shooting line I have lying around. I was thinking about using the method described by Lasse as "the other method" here:

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/smoot ... ions.shtml

Is a connection made this way strong enough for fishing or is it more suitable for a flyline to be used for casting only?

Cheers

Thomas
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Maybe I'm not thrifty enough, but if that (or something like it) happens to me I see it as a chance to try another line and I go shopping. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas,

I think it depends on how long the head is and whereabout the wear is. If the entire head can be kept intact, and if that head is normally outside the tip for distance casting (assuming that is a requirement) then I would probably strip the cores and make small whipped loops and go loop to loop. Having said that Lasse's method is the method they use for welded loops, and that's good to 25lbs according to Bruce and has popped a Lefty knot in 30lb Tyger wire in preference on two occasions. You could always take Bruce's recommendation and strengthen the join with two whippings using 10lb mono if required. For trout fishing it's certainly not required!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi!

Graeme: I usually do the same but I´m a bit short on cash right now.. :(

Paul: Are you sure you are thinking about the method Lasse is showing? I have tried melting lines together with shrink-tube but it is so hard not to overdo it so that the line gets a bit burned.

Cheers, Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think the tubing is important. Lasse gave me some a few years back. However yes this is effectively the same connection as a welded loop ie a plastic weld.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Thomas wrote:Hi everybody,

The running line on one of my flylines is ruined and I was thinking about replacing it with a coated shooting line I have lying around. I was thinking about using the method described by Lasse as "the other method" here:

http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/smoot ... ions.shtml

Is a connection made this way strong enough for fishing or is it more suitable for a flyline to be used for casting only?

Cheers

Thomas
Hi Thomas

All the connections in the articles are suitable for fishing, I use them myself :)
Best one is the shrinktube ones, very smooth and done right lasts good. They can however be a bit tricky depending on the plastic used in a particular line. PU is the easiest and gives the best results. PVC is harder and some manufacturers are very difficult to get a good result. Most importantly is patience and control over the heat. A hotgun with a scale is the easiest to use.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks guys. I am going to borrow a shotgun and try the method with shrink tube. I have only tried it with a flame so far and a hot gun should make it muck easier.

Cheers, Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If it doesn't work you can always shoot it? :???:

:)

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

:D Something has gone very wrong here... I have a function on my computer that leaves suggestions of words as I write - it works a bit like when your texting on a mobile phone. I have to turn it of! Heat-gun is the right word I believe.. :yeahhh:

Cheers, Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

:cool:

That's actually one reason I ditched my Samsung phone and went back to iPhone - with the Samsung you write a word that it autocorrects, so you go back and change it, and then it changes it back to the one you didn't want in the first place!

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”