PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Luggage

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Luggage

Post by Paul Arden »

What's your thoughts on flyfishing travel luggage?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Luggage

Post by James9118 »

I've heard enough bad stories to think that 'branded' fly fishing luggage may not be a good thing. Personally I just pack everything into a standard hard, unmarked, suitcase. I pack the rods in drainpipe that fits diagonally across the case, reels are in neoprene pouches and wrapped with T-shirts etc. I also travel in 'normal' clothes, so I can't be picked out as a fly fisher - maybe a bit paranoid but it's worked for me so far :whistle:

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Luggage

Post by Paul Arden »

I've always travelled for years with a backpack. But now they're invented the motorcar it seems less important.

Yes I can imagine fling lugggage is a target. Thanks James, I'll have a think :)

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
petevicar

Luggage

Post by petevicar »

James9118 wrote:I've heard enough bad stories to think that 'branded' fly fishing luggage may not be a good thing. Personally I just pack everything into a standard hard, unmarked, suitcase. I pack the rods in drainpipe that fits diagonally across the case, reels are in neoprene pouches and wrapped with T-shirts etc. I also travel in 'normal' clothes, so I can't be picked out as a fly fisher - maybe a bit paranoid but it's worked for me so far :whistle:

James

This is spot on!!!!

I have done the same since I lost some rods going through Paris Airport.
IANACI
cormorant

Luggage

Post by cormorant »

Typically my luggage in a rolling duffel weighs 30kg, the premium ticket allowance rather than the 23kg pleb ticket allowance. On virgin for the past decade I have blagged it on the basis that I don't have a separate sports equipment bag which is free on virgin.
I'm now expecting to travel on other airlines with different rules and hence uncertainty so perhaps need a different strategy. By pure chance I was in an orvis store in the uk and found their Safe Passage Carry It All. It's rigid and accommodates at least 6 9ft 4 piece rods (without tubes) plus numerous reels , spools and other stuff. It was on offer with 30% off. The key point is that the sum of dimensions is 115cm which is the limit for airlines that operate a sum of dimensions rule for carry on baggage.
If forced to check it it's not lockable, but then locks are easily clipped off.

The best piece of airline luggage I've seen was that of a veteran from Montauk who carried all his stuff - clothes and fishing gear - gaffer-taped up in a giant wheeled cooler which he checked. He then used it for his own personal bar on the skiff (he got thro a lot of mixers)!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Luggage

Post by Paul Arden »

Lucky you, Mike! Flying out of Heathrow I've had few problems. It's the internal connecting stuff that gives me a headache.

For a few years I travelled with hand luggage only. Small tying kit, a few clothes and a couple of rods. Life was simple then!! Now I carry many rods, a full kit, a bunch of reels, more lines than I want, warm and cold weather clothes - but not much! - and it's a hell of a lot more weight.

But on the other hand I'm moving home too. When I look at it like that then it's not very much. There's a lot more stuff I would like to have of course, but carrying only a small - and I do mean small! - backpack was in some ways the freest I've been. On the other hand cycling with more weight was freer.

This time I'm packed into a 75l backpack which will weigh exactly 23kg and hand luggage that is in a waterproof bag, and has my drone, laptop and a million and one cables. Mind you I'm pretty well established in Malaysia and have a truck and boat. So it's mostly fishing gear and work stuff. Also one small bottle of Palinka!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Luggage

Post by Viking Lars »

I have a huge Cressi Sub bag on heavy PCV (I think), and it's the best and most durable bag I've ever had. I've used it on all my long travels, and friends have used it too. I think it's 90l, so it's big, and it's virtually bomb proof, and as far as I remember, it wasn't even particularly expensive.

Lars
Boisker

Luggage

Post by Boisker »

I'm currently trying to work out what the hell to buy for a longhaul trip...
whether to go with the more standard type bag and put up with the extra weight (3 - 4.5kg)
or something real lightweight like the eagle creek cargo hauler duffel (120l), not really padded (some on the base), no wheels etc but only weighs 111g...
leaning towards the eagle creek and just wrapping up reels in the centre of the bag
Lasse Karlsson

Luggage

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Been using my ortleib xtremer xl since I was canoeing down Swedish rivers, no padding but takes several rodtubes, and packing clothes around all the stuff that shouldn't get more beating than when fishing works fine.
https://www.ortlieb.com/en/X-Tremer%20XL/]

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
FlyAlf

Luggage

Post by FlyAlf »

I travel with the largest Lowe bag where I can put all my 4-pc rod tubes and the reels & flyboxes inside the fly-line basket. I don't dare to have rod tubes visible, its a give-away for "security" personnel of airports. The Lowe is quite lightweight and can be carried as a backpack, but I see a lot of other tempting bags appearing.

My hand luggage is reserved for electronics.
---------------------------------------------------------
"So long and thanks for all the fish" - the Dolphins
flyalf.com

Return to “Tackle”