PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How to knot thin “knottable” wire

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: How to knot thin “knottable” wire

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Bendix. I’ve read that too. That also worries me because how much force does it take to set the knot? What’s the point of 35lb wire if it breaks at 10-15lbs :D

I’ll try breaking some later. That’s always exciting!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Fla
Answers: 0

Post by Fla »

Hi Paul

I dealt with the same problem some 2 years ago and found a knot that worked. Unfortunately I can't remember anymore 🤔 Will try to find some old leader, bitnnot sure if I have one here with me in Uganda.
You are talking about the TiNi mono-wire, right?

Another solution that worked was to use a strong but small sheep girls ring for the connection - I got some good ones from a german fishing line company (can't recall the name, the one that makes the high quality nylon I left you last time).

Cheers
Flavio
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

My goodness Flavio. Is there anything you can remember? :D

I wonder about inserting it into hollow braid and glueing it in place? I bet that would work perfectly.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Fla

Post by Fla »

Hi Paul

I can remember the flats-shirt that you still owe to me :pirate:

This was the knot:
WireLeaderKnot.png
WireLeaderKnot.png (227.49 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
I covered the knot with flexible UV-resin (from Loon), to avoid that the tag end of the wire catches weeds and picks my finger.

These are the rings, the company is Stroft:
https://www.aspo-gmbh.de/shop/stroft-vo ... /index.htm

Cheers,
Flavio
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Right, I don’t remember the Flats Shirt :D :D

What strength wire are you using? That’s similar to a Slim Beauty. I can’t make that bow tie/figure 8 in the wire tighten. And then because it doesn’t tighten the mono has nothing to snug against. The wire is 35lbs.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Fla

Post by Fla »

I was using 20 lbs and 3 5lbs. The bow tie does not tighten up completely but enough that the grinner knot does not slip through - might depend on the diameter of the nylon though, I am using something around 50 lbs nylon.

kind regards
Flavio
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi mate,

How do you think it compares to what we use here for Snakehead?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Fla

Post by Fla »

Hi Paul,

It is definitely much thinner and therefore probably also stealthier. The higher stiffness could possibly affect the action of the popper in a negative way.

Check out this one: https://www.afwfishing.com/afw_products ... um_1x7.asp
It is a 7 strand Titanium based leader - I tested it in 20 lbs and 50 lbs, and it makes a very good impression. Thinner compared to knotable steel (multi-)wires in the same strength (it is not coated) and very easily knotable. It kinks much less than steel but is also very expensive though :)

cheers
Flavio

PS: I believe it's thinner - not completely sure.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow that is expensive!!

Flycasting Definitions
Chess

Post by Chess »

Maybe there's some alternatives to ponder. I've never used wire in fly fishing, but did in saltwater many years ago for shark. Didn't like it much, "as why?" became a good question. It's pretty primal and I didn't see busting yourself up and your tackle as sport. It does the shark no favors either. Multi-stranded wire traces have always been available for the toothy flathead in various gauges when using bait. Flexible plastic coatings made them pliable and had swivels on the ends.
Moreover, in a crossover from the wire technique used for shark fishing and the use of a wire former to make spinner lures maybe there's a method that can be adapted/devised for suitable wire to be looped finished onto flies and then looped to tie the leader onto. As I'm implying, this is just a stab in the dark but "wire formers" for fishing purposes are numerous in design in the US. This is one of the more expensive ones but gives the idea of their use.

Return to “Tackle”