PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

8ft #4 (Orvis superfine or Sage Circa)

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Post by bartdezwaan »

I am looking for a 8ft #4 rod and found out that the premium brands have surprisingly little available in this setup.
The Orvis Superfine Carbon and Sage Circa are available in this size but I am afraid they might be to soft for my liking.

Does anyone have experience with one of the rods? Do they have some backbone?
Other suggestions are more then welcome.

Cheers, Bart
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Bart, I have the 8' #2 supafine and have cast the Circa. They have a through action that you feel in your fingers. I like them both, it's a bit like glass but much more stable tips. A fishing rod rather than a casting rod in my view.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks for the info Vince.
I settled for a Hardy Zenith with a 50% off deal. Should do the job I think.
Will only use it on smaller streams with overhanging trees.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I've cast the 9'#4 zenith, it's a nice rod, very light. For Small overgrown streams, I use a 6' #2/3 steffan s-glass :-)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Just took the 8ft #4 Zenith out for a cast today.
The finish is beautiful. It all feels very exclusive, with the plugs in each piece and even a sock for the aluminium tube. Really impressive.

Regarding the casting performance I am not impressed. It is soft :glare:
I dont think the longer models are as soft as this 8ft version and I did not expect this, since it is advertised as a fast rod.

My dad had a, more then 20 years old, T&T dryfly. And this rod performed not a bit less then my Zentih.

It will still do the job just fine, since I have it for short distance fishing.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think that the use of of the definition of fast is about as disciplined as the casting definitions. Tom Moran wrote a good article on this. Perhaps they are using the definition of how quickly counterflex ends rather than stiffness.

bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Perhaps they are using the definition of how quickly counterflex ends rather than stiffness
Which sounds like a perfectly fine definition to me. I also use it like that.
Maybe I will sell it after all. Sage is coming with the "little one" next month. I think I will try and see if I can get my hands on one to try.
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

bartdezwaan wrote:
Perhaps they are using the definition of how quickly counterflex ends rather than stiffness
Which sounds like a perfectly fine definition to me. I also use it like that.
Maybe I will sell it after all. Sage is coming with the "little one" next month. I think I will try and see if I can get my hands on one to try.
Hi,
I see the little one will retail at $850. All the rods are 8'2" with line weights aftm 00-4.
$850 is quite a price for such a small rod. I wonder what the UK price will be. £850?
Dave.
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

That is indeed a high price tag. Strange, it is more expensive then a normal One or Method.
To much for my liking.
I will just keep the Zenith and see if I get used to it when fishing.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not really sure when a fishing rod becomes a casting tool! Maybe the T38s and T120s. And possibly the direction many competitors are heading with the 5-line events. I tell you something though, I really don't like fishing soft rods!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”