PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Onehanded spey line for heavy flies

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

As a curiosity, in Sweden they have an indoor switchcast/jumproll competition every year with a 5 weight line (#6 ;)) and the winning distance just about every year, is above 90 feet, usually 95 ish... Still that's with fluff and not a heavy fly....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That's very impressive. I think I'm a contender but I'm having an argument here and you're not helping.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Get to Stockholm just after the middle of March, and beat me ;)

And hey, I'm on the other side of that argument, if you want help, don't look here :D

Cheers
Lasse

alp

Post by alp »

Hi,

Switch (jump roll) cast 95 ft with 5-weight 9ft rod in no wind conditions certainly is a hell of a distance. I certainly can't do that. Not even close. But Massew mentioned distance 50-70 ft. and 7-weight SH category. You guys know that's nothing of a distance. Are you kidding Paul? Surely this is some kind of joke that I do not understand. :???:

Anyone can do that with any rod lenght and heads like TT Ambush, Rio Trout Max, OPST line, AF Streamer Switch... with sink tip or Poly and relatively heavy fly. This is an hour or two of guided training. Basic Roll, Snap-t, Double Spey and let's go fishing.

Yes, longer rod helps in spey casting. Yes, longer heads are better for max distance. But with short skagit heads we definitely do not need 12-13 ft. rod to cast and fish for trout up to 70 ft.

Cheers
alp
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Have you stuck a tape measure out there Alex? I can throw 70 feet on a double Spey but it's not in my comfort zone. We can get a tape measure out this summer!

Can we play for beer?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
alp

Post by alp »

Done for 70 ft (21 m)! But we can play for a beer for any reason, anytime. Two or three times if necessary. :p :p

About double spey distance, will you believe me if I take tape measure tomorrow, several lines and sticks and do some videos for you? Lets start with Sage One 4116 switch rod, 275 gr Trout Max (11 ft) and Grip Shooter 35 lb? This is the shortest head on the market and together with 8-10 ft of T-10, in my humble opinion, the best equipment for what Massew wish to do.

Cheers
alp
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Have you stuck a tape measure out there Alex? I can throw 70 feet on a double Spey but it's not in my comfort zone. We can get a tape measure out this summer!

Can we play for beer?

Cheers, Paul
Paul, you need to get away from those longbelly 5 weights and step up to real gear :p

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Let's not start with a Switch Rod :p start with a 9ft rod! A seven weight line at 30 ft weighs 185 grains and Massew has already stated he doesn't want to use shooting heads. You can use a short belly line of course! The easiest Double Spey cast is a 90 degree angle change.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Massew

Post by Massew »

Lasse is right about the lengths in that switch cast competition. A Guideline Highwater #5 line is usually used and that line is quite heavy.

Yes, a doublehander would be better and perhaps I will get one if this doesn't work but for now I'll take my chances with a new line rather than buying a whole kit I probably won't use very much.

And it's not only for double spey but for singles, switches and the like as well.

Cheers, Massew
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

When you say quite heavy, Massew, does this mean it's more than a 5WT?

Edit I see from Lasse's post it's a 6.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”