PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sage X

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Sage X

Post by bartdezwaan »

Anyone already got his hands on one?
http://midcurrent.com/2016/06/18/sages- ... the-water/
Graeme H

Sage X

Post by Graeme H »

All we're seeing so far are the press releases. The user reviews should start leaking out over the next 3 months.

I'll look forward to reading those, but I'm not interested in the marketing blurb. I already know the rod will be great (it's a Sage) but I want to hear opinions from users.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
t.z.

Sage X

Post by t.z. »

Isn´t a bit weird really this new series of rods all the time .. and every time this is the best they can do bla blah blah ... to me it feels like they maybe haven´t done enough testing before they came out with a huge range of rods again and again and again - I somehow do not feel inclined to throw money at this machine.
Graeme H

Sage X

Post by Graeme H »

It's how they make money. Lots of companies do things like this and there is nothing really wrong with it (think Apple, Microsoft, BMW, McDonalds, Giant Bicycles, etc.). In the end, it's good for the whole industry to have at least some companies releasing new gear each year.

Nobody is forcing us to buy their new rods, so just sit back and enjoy the (marketing) show and the accompanying discussions.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
t.z.

Sage X

Post by t.z. »

Graeme H wrote:It's how they make money. Lots of companies do things like this and there is nothing really wrong with it (think Apple, Microsoft, BMW, McDonalds, Giant Bicycles, etc.). In the end, it's good for the whole industry to have at least some companies releasing new gear each year.

Nobody is forcing us to buy their new rods, so just sit back and enjoy the (marketing) show and the accompanying discussions.

Cheers,
Graeme
Oh really? That was new to me ;-)

What amazes me in this context is that serious people like all you fantastic casters here at s-loops still take that firm serious any longer. And I don´t think it is fair to compare a niche marked manufakturer to the big companies like you did. These actually do have money for research and development. Bringing a whole series of rods in which all are tested to the max - just watched Pauls video and if that is true what he states (I believe him) it takes several month to design one rod. How much time would one need for a whole series than? How many designers and engineers are at Sage? Must be hundreds.

While having said that - I actually like some of their products.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sage X

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't think that Sage design each rod from scratch, only tweak an existing range. TCR->TCX etc. However I am sceptical of the advancements, and believe it has more to do with sales cycles that any actual technological advancements. This is not the computer industry! Sometimes their replacement series IMO is not as good as the replaced one. For example when they dropped the XP series. Personally I think much more realistic is a ten year life cycle in this industry and really I think that's mainly down to resin advancements.

I do find many of their faster rods too rigid in the butt - but that's simply my tastes. Or maybe I'm just getting older and need to protect my elbow :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Sage X

Post by Graeme H »

t.z. wrote: What amazes me in this context is that serious people like all you fantastic casters here at s-loops still take that firm serious any longer.
Um, no, I don't take their marketing seriously myself. I enjoy the show each year but I don't believe a word of their marketing blurb. I like some of their lower price point blanks a lot (e.g. the Bass-series blanks), but don't base that on their marketing pitch. It's from experience of casting and fishing them.
And I don´t think it is fair to compare a niche marked manufakturer to the big companies like you did. These actually do have money for research and development. Bringing a whole series of rods in which all are tested to the max - just watched Pauls video and if that is true what he states (I believe him) it takes several month to design one rod. How much time would one need for a whole series than? How many designers and engineers are at Sage? Must be hundreds.
Playing the Devil's Advocate here: Jerry can short-circuit some of the time delays by being in the same location as the guys who roll the blanks. He doesn't need to wait for weeks to get hold of a new blank section to be rolled and built up before beginning the testing, but he also has a room full of blank sections to mix and match with. Jerry has more time on his hands too: I bet he doesn't fish every day like Paul does!!! ;)

I too believe Paul when he says he has hundreds of casters play with the rods before release. I reckon Sage also has a LOT of people willing to play with prototypes on the water, but most of their testing is done after release (IMHO). That's what the warranty takes care of (as well as being a marketing tool.) Paul's marketing pitch is much closer to what I expect/believe/trust and it's why I own more Hot Torpedoes than Sage rods. ;)

Do they really put that much time and money into developing these blanks? I don't know and I don't care. In any case, it doesn't matter if you or I agree with Sage's marketing methods. They'll keep doing it because there are enough people in the world who do agree with it and back it up by buying new Sage rods as they come out. There's a fly-fisherman born every minute and it's Sage's job to part them from their money if they can. :pirate: Good luck to them.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
t.z.

Sage X

Post by t.z. »

I agree Graeme,

I hope they reinvest enough of that money in a distribution network which supports the customers. I fear to see hard pressed dealers having loads of "old" products lines on their shelves which eat up the little profit they have. I used to have a music shop and I have seen this type of decline caused by the "rat race" of having to push out new product lines every year.

Well, that´s how the world is I guess.

Cheers,
Thomas
Merlin

Sage X

Post by Merlin »

A more flexible butt: they copied the HT maybe.
Beware of spies from the other side of the pond, Paul.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sage X

Post by Paul Arden »

Good news! Should be easier on anglers' elbows. I doubt Sage will put the same quality hardware or workmanship into their rods. If they do they'll be bloody expensive!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”