PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Which fly rod action is best for casting longer distance

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Hi Merlin,

I haven't made any assumptions - I've just asked a question. However let's make one now, let's assume that's not a smile on Stickman Lasse's face, lets assume it's a grimace because his noodly (very short :D ) arms are applying the maximum force (mg) that he can muster during a cast. Would that make any difference to his choice of the best rod for distance?

Cheers, James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Damn, those are stiff rods :D

Ok, the one with the bendier tip will be the one to throw the longest :p. Ones a broomstick, the other a shorter broomstick with a bendy tip, longer tiptravel for the same amount of force applied, higher line velocity in the end...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Lasse,
So, having a bendy rod, one that bends down to the butt would have greater tip travel? Therefore, producing greater line velocity. Don't think so, other variables come into play...true?
Lou
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Lou

True.
James is making an extreme example, the other end would be a really bendy rod (most rods bend well into the handle) it is counterproductive. You'd loose the lever effect, and that plays a bigger point in throwing a line than the spring does. Plus the much bigger counterflex wreaks havoc with introducing slack, making it hard to control the line, and in delivery holds back the shot.
Someone made a bell curve (I think it was Merlin) showing how rods from noodle to broomstick would be to throw, the top of the bell curve are the ones which would be best, the ends the worst where they detract more than help. I liked that one, thing is the caster is the biggest variable, and from throwing lots of different rods with the same line down the tape, I found that the rod one uses the most is the one throwing the furthest.

Cheers
Lasse

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Lasse

Something like that?
from noodle to broomstick.JPG
from noodle to broomstick.JPG (47.96 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
One can see that the maximum speed occurs for a relatively wide band of rod stiffness

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not sure why many assume you need to be stronger to cast a stiffer rod (strong to bend it?!). You only need to adapt your stroke to the tackle.

Tony, most casters initially don't have the skills to alter their casting stroke. And it's quite a change when you go to a very stiff rod. I personally really enjoy casting such tackle - nowadays!

My 5WT distance casting rod is also my 10WT Snakehead rod. It goes around 1.5-2m further than the original SL Comp5 rod which is my 6WT fishing rod. For a lot of people however, it doesn't go anywhere!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

[quote="Paul Arden"]Tony, most casters initially don't have the skills to alter their casting stroke. And it's quite a change when you go to a very stiff rod. I personally really enjoy casting such tackle - nowadays! /quote]

Paul,

So true, after practicing with our favorite rod try practicing with a fly rod quit the opposite. Fun!

Lou
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tony, most casters initially don't have the skills to alter their casting stroke. And it's quite a change when you go to a very stiff rod. I personally really enjoy casting such tackle - nowadays!
I suspect the point Tony is trying to make is that the same people cannot adjust their timing to a bendier rod either, but I reckon that you would need to agree on what you meant by bendy first.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Vince

What timing do we need to adjust between a bendy rod and a stiff one?

Cheers
Lasse

VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Lasse

If I hand my glass or bamboo rods to someone with limited experience who has only cast graphite, their stroke length is too often too short, power is applied too quickly and the next stroke starts too soon.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Tackle”