PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Which fly rod action is best for casting longer distance

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Merlin
Answers: 0

Post by Merlin »

Hi James

Best rod for distance is IMHO the stiffest one you can handle, and I would bet on the tip action one, even if butt action ones can have some terrific line lifting capability. This corresponds to Paul's situation, and the extra distance is relatively small I think, but it exists and can make the difference. This does not mean that it is the case for all people, just a question of taste and "feel good" as they cast.

I interpreted this as an assumption just because it cannot exist for the full range of usable load:
Suppose, hypothetically, I have two rods with the same overall spring constant e.g. the tip deflects by the same amount for a given load, but one of these rods bends down to the corks whilst the other has the bend concentrated at the tip.
Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't know about distance, but for ease of casting a rod that flexes to the butt is much easier to "stop".
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Paul,

What you say is the result of the self deceleration mechanism. Butt action rods have a larger propensity to self decelerate their butt which comes from their inertial characteristics.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:Hi Lasse

If I hand my glass or bamboo rods to someone with limited experience who has only cast graphite, their stroke length is too often too short, power is applied too quickly and the next stroke starts too soon.

Regards

Vince
Thats mostly because everyone and the kitchen sink say you have to change, so they do.
They are using the feedback from the stiffer rod, and change when they shouldn't.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Merlin. Can you explain that again please? :) I'd like to understand it better.

The way I'm looking at it is that with a butt action at any instant (particularly at the first instant) you are stopping a shorter lever. With a rod that only flexes day to mid point you have to stop half the rod straight away, which is much harder on the joints.

Not sure I agree Lasse, we've had fibreglass rods in competition and some of them have been incredibly difficult to cast. On the other hand I don't agree with shorter stroke or narrower arc with graphite because you and I use the maximum we can! So for me it's more of a force application thing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Incidentally at one shootout we had four guys all Board members cast 6, 8 and a 10 weight (Lee, Ben, James and me). Everyone threw their longest casts with the 10 and the shortest with the 6. That sealed it for me, particularly because I was trained up on the HT6.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thats mostly because everyone and the kitchen sink say you have to change, so they do.
They are using the feedback from the stiffer rod, and change when they shouldn't.

Cheers
Lasse
Agreed Lasse, I think they feel the swingweight on the bamboo instead of the line and start the stroke on that coming through the hand. Might be one for slo mo to see it, or we could put electrodes in their brains to record what they are feeling :p

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

In shootouts it doesn't appear to matter the tackle. The longest casters with graphite are the longest with all rods.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Paul

It's ok you don't agree, it just means you're wrong :D

That a rod feels difficult to cast isn't the same as it requires you to change timing (for me thats when to start the next cast, so that the line either unrolls slower or faster) or change the casting arc or casting stroke or your underwear.

Where it your 6, 8 and 10?

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

VGB wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thats mostly because everyone and the kitchen sink say you have to change, so they do.

Cheers
Lasse
Agreed Lasse, I think they feel the swingweight on the bamboo instead of the line and start the stroke on that coming through the hand. Might be one for slo mo to see it, or we could put electrodes in their brains to record what they are feeling :p

Regards

Vince
With limited experience, they wont feel the line with the graphite either, they'll feel something heavy, and as soon as it kicks they think the line is straight and go the other way, and since the kick is hard, they go hard. Then some nicknack tell them to waiting longer, because its a soft rod that take longer to unload, and the line is travelling so much slower you can light your pibe while it does.. Yeah because science :yeahhh:

:D :D

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Tackle”