PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New SW line by RIO

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Graeme H
Answers: 0

New SW line by RIO

Post by Graeme H »

That makes sense Paul. I see where you're coming from now.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

Post by Michal Duzynski »

I know that Lasse, and Im not really picky.
I admit I like Rio OBS, I never had issue with it, it deliverd my fly where I wanted and that's it. If somebody tells me that I use this line because I dont know how to cast- well they can come for a cast with me.
When I got the HT10 I asked Paul- Can this rod pull- lets say 15-20 kg fish from deep water? He said yes, so there you go.
I have a rod for a heavy duty fishing* nothing happend yet), what and how I cast on it its my businnes.
Cheers
Mike
Lasse Karlsson

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mike

Now we complelty agree :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
t.z.

New SW line by RIO

Post by t.z. »

Paul Arden wrote: It doesn't make any sense to me. There is one standard, it is not a rod standard; it is a line standard. You cannot have a line one line weight heavier! It is simply not possible to have a 7WT line weighing an 8WT because then it actually becomes an 8WT line. What gives the line a certain number, is not what number is written on the rod, it is how much the first 30 feet weighs. You know this!

It would be like going to the sea-trout event with a 38g shooting head labelled 27g - see how far that gets you :p
I´d like that for drinks ... you order halv a pint and get 3/4 but pay for halv ... wouldn´t that be cool ... doesn´t make sense with lines as they all cost the same - way too much
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Hi Mike

Now we complelty agree :D

Cheers
Lasse
YES :cool:
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

t.z. wrote:
Paul Arden wrote: It doesn't make any sense to me. There is one standard, it is not a rod standard; it is a line standard. You cannot have a line one line weight heavier! It is simply not possible to have a 7WT line weighing an 8WT because then it actually becomes an 8WT line. What gives the line a certain number, is not what number is written on the rod, it is how much the first 30 feet weighs. You know this!

Exactly, have few and learn how to use them.

On an Aussie forum in clasified aeria there is so many lines on sale... why would you have 30 lines in first place, plus they cost $100+ a pice

It would be like going to the sea-trout event with a 38g shooting head labelled 27g - see how far that gets you :p
I´d like that for drinks ... you order halv a pint and get 3/4 but pay for halv ... wouldn´t that be cool ... doesn´t make sense with lines as they all cost the same - way too much
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

Sorry quoted too much

Thats mine

Exactly, have few and learn how to use them.

On an Aussie forum in clasified aeria there is so many lines on sale... why would you have 30 lines in first place, plus they cost $100+ a pice
Lou Bruno

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lou Bruno »

So, if we move towards overlining our rods, should rod designers allow for larger diameter guides. Assuming heavier lines equate to larger diameter lines, larger diameter guides means more clearance...Less friction.

Lou
Graeme H

New SW line by RIO

Post by Graeme H »

Lou Bruno wrote:So, if we move towards overlining our rods, should rod designers allow for larger diameter guides. Assuming heavier lines equate to larger diameter lines, larger diameter guides means more clearance...Less friction.

Lou
No, they are already large enough.

I usually build my rods with guides normally found on spinning rods (Ti framed single foot guides with SiC inserts). These have considerably smaller diameters than wire guides and there is absolutely no penalty in terms of shooting line.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
sms

Re: New SW line by RIO

Post by sms »

Did anybody cast the flats pro in the end? They do state the weights etc, so for a person who knows what they want it is not bad if the line is good.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”