PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New SW line by RIO

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

New SW line by RIO

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi
Yesterday, after few months of casting 5wt line on my HT10, I took this rod on the flats.
I used 10wt Rio line ( middle profile on the picture). It is older model, so I think it is still rated as a 10wt, and half or full size heavier, then 10ft leader and HEAVY shrimp.
The first few casts were shocking, fly kicking, roll cast was crap, loops looked like shit.
Instead of wishing for heavier line, I had to rethink my set up and casting.
First thing I did, I went down from 10ft to 8ft leader ( could even go to 7 as the line has clear tip). Casting wise, I opend my loop, which morphed to a nice one on the end of the turnover.

Point is- would I go to a shop and buy another heavier line?- NO

P.S
HT first fish on a HT10 was a small ( my shrimp size) PUFFER FISH :whistle:
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
20170830_065107.jpg
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

One more thing to add to this uplining crap.
Hopefully I wont fuck up the original thread, but on the end its down to casting
I do my distance warm up with short casts. 5wt line on 10wt labled rod, and it is fantastic.
I could take this rod and a dry fly ( size of my fluff) and perform short, med and super long casts with sexyloops.
Some say"i cant bend it", but this is crap. Ok I wont feel a small fish on a 10wt, but casting related is great.
So my question is- who really needs uplining and what heavier line ( more bend) gives to them???
Mike
Lasse Karlsson

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Mike

So you uplined with putting a 10wt line on the rod you usually cast a 5wt line on, right?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

Ha ha ha
No Lasse, the rod is labled as 10wt, so im DOWNLINING/UNDERLINING :D
I cast distance with 5wt MED on HT10, but i do it so much that I get use to it very much. When I warm up for a big shots I flick couple short loops on that set up and it feels awsome.
Im scared sometimes, that I wont be able to cast 5wt line on a rod labled as 5 as it will to soft for me, and I have to readjust my stroke.
This is why once on a while( for a practice purpose) I put the line on a rod as the lable says.
Ok HT 5wt COMP is on a blank dedicated as 6wt, but 5wt line is awsome on it- maybe Im a fan of underlining...
....but it all changes when a heavy fly is attached to the leader
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New SW line by RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Boisker, yes that's for trout really where the fight is more about having them swim about to tire themselves while giving some direction. I doubt we ever apply more than a pound, max two, of force.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New SW line by RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Michal,

If RIO are making their lines heavier by 1AFFTA rating then for fishing the HT10 I would definitely recommend what they would label a 9WT. For something like an Outbound the correct line is what they call an 8WT.

I would most certainly not fish an 11WT line on this rod.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

New SW line by RIO

No worries Paul I wont. I dont have problem with loading :D
Cheers
Mike
Graeme H

New SW line by RIO

Post by Graeme H »

I don't have such a line, but how much of a 10wt DT line would be too much to carry on the HT10 then? At what distance is the rod "overloaded"?

The questions are facetious. :) I practice my casting with a 6wt DT line on the HT6. The first 30' is at or near the standard, but I'm often carrying 65' or 70'. That's well over double the 160gn standard mass for a 6wt line. I'd calculate the "one line weight over" would be achieved with 35' of line outside the tip and "two line weights over" with 40'. By 55' I'm casting what the denizens of lesser forums call a 10wt line if the grain is the only consideration. It's essentially a 12wt line (by mass) by the time I'm holding the backing knot on the 80' DT6.

Unless there's something wrong with the rod, I'd be confident that a 10wt Rio Permit (or maybe the Flats Pro) would be well suited to any rod labelled as a 10wt rod, including the HT10. (Weren't you using a Rio Permit on the HT10 for a while Paul?)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

New SW line by RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

It's not overloaded at a 60ft carry where it feels overloaded is at 20ft. It's like putting a big condom on.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Michal Duzynski wrote:Ha ha ha
No Lasse, the rod is labled as 10wt, so im DOWNLINING/UNDERLINING :D
I cast distance with 5wt MED on HT10, but i do it so much that I get use to it very much. When I warm up for a big shots I flick couple short loops on that set up and it feels awsome.
Im scared sometimes, that I wont be able to cast 5wt line on a rod labled as 5 as it will to soft for me, and I have to readjust my stroke.
This is why once on a while( for a practice purpose) I put the line on a rod as the lable says.
Ok HT 5wt COMP is on a blank dedicated as 6wt, but 5wt line is awsome on it- maybe Im a fan of underlining...
....but it all changes when a heavy fly is attached to the leader
Hi Mike

The number on the rod is just a guidence for beginners, there is no such thing as a rating/standard for rods. So underlining/overlining doesn't make much sense. Paul designed the rod, and if he's in a competition its a 5, if he 's fishing for imaginary fish in malaysia, he calls it a 10, if I had it I might call it a 15 or a - 3.
The real matter is your last line, the fly dictates the line, who cares what is written on the rod.....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Tackle”