PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New SW line by RIO

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lou Bruno »

Anyone try the new SW RIO line, DIRECTCORE FLATS PRO STEALTHTIP?
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New SW line by RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

Nope! Is this a clear tipped line? I've always found it more challenging to be accurate with clear lines. It must be the way that the eye/brain work. I first noticed this when casting clear Intermediates into the bank. of course advantages of having the tip sink if that's what it is are very useful. If it's a clear floating tip then not for me. Erm got a link, Lou? :)

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
The line has a clear intermediate tip.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/tr ... ro-stealth

Lou
Lou Bruno

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
I've been told when SW fishing we either watch the fly or line, at times the clear tips, or intermediate lines become difficult to spot. So it's possible to lose sight of both the fly and line.
Thinking this must be something experienced while fishing from a boat.
I'm not sure how the taper will load our rods, and do we want our lines to float higher on the surface?

Lou
Graeme H

New SW line by RIO

Post by Graeme H »

It's a line I'll be buying when it's available locally. I'll be getting the 10wt and 8wt versions with the clear tip and probably the 6wt floating.

I don't know when it'll get to Australia though.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

New SW line by RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

I'd have to cast it Lou, it's impossible for me to tell has a line casts from a diagram, particularly one that isn't to scale! The intermediate tip is handy for getting the fly down at times, in fact in many situations it's a better option.

The head is too short for me to be perfect.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul
Agree, be nice to hear from users.
Line comes with a hefty price tag.

Lou
t.z.

New SW line by RIO

Post by t.z. »

and how much off the AFTMA scale is it? Rather frustrating lately that this quasi standard is ignored ... one can´t testcast that stuff either. Not many shops let you do this, quite understandably.
Lou Bruno

New SW line by RIO

Post by Lou Bruno »

T.Z.

We can test fly rods, with line provided...With the line being the most important part of the system, it certainly would be benifitual to test them. That explains my post, I'm trying to get feedback.

I heard from experienced SW fisher. He stated he uses intermediate line in the salt all the time. The line effects the fly, including poppers, they swim lower in the water. He also said lines tend to float higher in the salt.

Lou
Graeme H

New SW line by RIO

Post by Graeme H »

t.z. wrote:and how much off the AFTMA scale is it? Rather frustrating lately that this quasi standard is ignored ... one can´t testcast that stuff either. Not many shops let you do this, quite understandably.
According to their web site, it's one line weight heavier. So as long as you know that, you can adjust accordingly.

Their Permit line is also 1 line weight heavier but it's still a great line to cast.

Cehers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Tackle”