PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New SW line by RIO

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: New SW line by RIO

Post by Paul Arden »

I'll make one this summer, Gary. I've just placed a new order for lumilines. I'll get my boat on the lake, get the 7WTs rolling out properly, I want to see how Coronavirus unfolds (it's potentially going to affect my hosted trips with travel bans) - I reckon I'll place an order in about 2 months from now.

10WT, long belly, long rear taper, all clear, tropical coating. I prefer braid core.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms
Answers: 0

Post by sms »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:10 am I prefer braid core.
Why?
All the best intermediate and sinking lines I've used for salt have been with mono (Rio Leviathan and barstool Tropical Tarpon). I recon the Flats Pro will be even better. They stay straight better and tangle less. And they also seem to have bigger temperature range - you can stretch them straight even in quite cold temperatures. I like running lines stiff and straight - monocore seems to be the only answer.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Maybe just my experiences with mono core lines, the core coming unstuck to the coating, more stretch. I also like to be able to make loops from stripping to the core. But it’s not something I have a particularly strong opinions about.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms
Answers: 0

Post by sms »

More stretch, true. Unstuck coating I haven't come across (except some barstool made that were actually with braided cores).
I nowadays hate stripping the core, I install braided mono loops in order to get 100% of the breaking strength of the line.
The direct core doesn't seem to stretch much. For me stretch is not an issue. Tuna has probably the best mouth of hooking. A few years back I managed to break a hook from where the barb used to be (I crimp them off for tuna) and continued catching albies (false albacore) no problem. The guide gave a funny look and then laughed after I showed the hook to him.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke

Return to “Tackle”