PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Knot Testing - James' page

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/t ... tshow-weak

Thanks James for a very interesting page. I believe a 2-turn water knot is stronger than the 3-turn (although someone told me that was material dependent, certainly it's stronger with my material.

When joining nylon if I need strength I always of Bimini into Slim Beauty. I also do it when trout fishing with streamers or if there is a big difference in nylon diameters.

For fly knots I use both the Lefty Knot and the Eugene Bend, but there's not much use in having these stronger than tippet knots.

Very interesting to see the leader knots and wind knots having a comparable breaking point!!!

Cheers and thanks,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Hi James, an interesting set of results, thank you for publishing. Please could you do a comparison with the same knot but with a dod of superglue on it?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

What material are you using James? It might be interesting to compare with different materials of the same diameter. I'm not a believer in buying very expensive fly fishing tippet material and instead buy Coarse and Sea fishing material going by diameter.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Post by Will »

Could be interesting to see:

Bimini loop-to-loop
Surgeons loop-to-loop
How about connections using tippet rings: both Blood and Uni-knots?

Cheers

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Nick

Post by Nick »

I love knot tests. They lead down a rabbit hole of so many questions...

How are you tying your double grinner? Dick Walker grinner style with twists in the lines first, or unit knot style without? My experience has been that when done without twisting the lines first, the way the knot seats is unreliable, and leads to a wider variation in strength. It's what I use whenever I have to join two pieces of line, and I haven't found anything better yet, except maybe tippet rings. I am surprised that the water knot came anywhere close to it in strength. That has not been my experience.

I have gone over to using the 16-20 knot (or pitzen or whatever name people call it) for tying on flies, so please test that. The Kreh loop is another one that's worth testing.

And if you have unlimited patience, I would be interested to know if a snell is stronger than tying to the eye of the hook. I think it might be. Specifically, this version of a snell knot https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/egg-loop

Nick.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The Lefty Knot beats a hell of a lot of knots hands down. But the Eugene Bend/Penny Knot/Rapala Knot beats the Lefty.

I've enjoyed a few "knot-offs" in my time :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Neil Owens

Post by Neil Owens »

I'd be interested to see Co-Polymer and fluorocarbon knots to tippet rings and hooks and possibly co=polymer to fluorocarbon of differing gauges
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I started using the ‘penny’ knot having seen it on a P Hayes vid...original decision based on how idiot proof it is with a pair of haemostats... a great knot that clicks when it is seated correctly.
Fla

Post by Fla »

Hey James,

Stroft might have tapered leaders suitable for your bonefishing. For example Stroft GTM No. 44: 0.72mm butt to 0.42mm tip. Check out their catalogue on pages 25 and 28: http://www.aspo-gmbh.de/aspo_katalog_20 ... 17.html#28
Tell me if you need translations, the tables are quite straight forward though. I recently started using No. 35 for grayling fishing, and like it so far...

I would be interested in Eugene bend to tippet ring (with 0.10mm tippet :whistle: )

Cheers, Flavio
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: I believe a 2-turn water knot is stronger than the 3-turn (although someone told me that was material dependent, certainly it's stronger with my material.
I tested the 2-turn version for you today - interesting :kungfu: I also tested the figure 8 and the blood knot.

The material is a budget jumbo spool branded by Daiwa. I'm going to do some repeats with fluorocarbon, but that could get expensive if I end up running through spools of the stuff.

Vince - no problem, which knots do you want to see glued? (don't say 'all of them'! :D )

Will - Ok. My personal interest is in adding a tippet to a bonefish leader on the flats, so the Bimini isn't a practical consideration for me (slow, tricky to tie etc) but I'll add it in. A tippet ring could be an option so I'll do a series with this. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nick - the grinners (uni-kots) were not twisted first. This produced the neatest, barrel shaped knots, of all the ones I tied. At this point in time I was just concentrating on tippet knots, whoever with Will's introduction of the tippet ring I can put in knots that would usually be used to tie the fly on.

James

Return to “Tackle”