PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Knot 2 kinky

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Paul Arden »

Just read Lars' FP. I would like to know which part of Knot 2 Kinky is knottable? :p I can't tie a tightened Lefty Knot or a Slim Beauty which are my two usual wire knots. Which knots do you use with the material? When I've made breaking tests the wire leader has cut through the tippet (30lb wire 40lb tippet) at around 17-18lb pull.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Will
Answers: 0

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Will »

Hiya

I use knot 2 kinky and think it’s brilliant. However I do like to use snap links and leader rings on pre-tied leaders. I know you think the snap link may affect presentation, but I doubt it :p

Without a snap link I find the tying of the knots in this stuff a pain in the arse, and I’m less likely to change flies. Also, it’s pricey stuff, so I don’t want to chop bits off every time I switch flies.

I tie 3-turn tucked blood knots. They never look like they tighten properly, but they don’t slip! Because I’m picky I whip over the knot with tying thread and give it a coat of UV epoxy. I do this because you always get a sharp tag end which really hurts when it sticks into your finger when you grab the leader. This also smooths the connection which helps a little if you’re fishing through weed.

I’ve caught hundreds of pike on this stuff with no problems. Quite possible for a leader to last for dozens of fish. If the whipping/epoxy gets frayed I just repair it when I get home, and keep using it.

One watch-out: a friend tried crimping this stuff, and it was a disaster, causing multiple failures.

Hope this helps.

W.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Will

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Will »

Also, should’ve said. I started using leader rings because I found the material would cut through mono and, again, they maximise re-use-ability.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Viking Lars

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Viking Lars »

I can almost second Will...
I can, however, imagine that it's impossible to do those mojo-knots with lots of turns on the stuff. I too use a blood knot (2 turns, though) and yes, it doesn't look as if it's tightened, but like Will, I get no opened knots.

And yes - crimps are no-go on this!

I too (sometimes) use snaps and always a leader ring.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks guys. Any photos of the snap links and leader rings?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Will

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Will »

Here you go.

The size three staylok is a chunky link. I do use the next size down but it does get bent around on bigger fish so I switched to the beefier one. I like stayloks as they don’t accidentally open when getting chewed!

20kg tippet rings. Also an image of a whipped/epoxied connection.

W.
Attachments
8B7249CC-BD84-49E6-94F3-24159C1E0550.jpeg
E4292A6A-CCE7-4F36-80FF-F5E7791426E7.jpeg
6B009309-D339-4927-B2EA-AEFCEF55E860.jpeg
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

WC Stewart
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Knot 2 kinky

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Will. I actually have some of these in the boat. I'll run some tests this week. I have just bought myself 50m of knottable wire this week in KL. But I have the knot-2-Kinky stuff in the boat as well.

Will have a rummage this week.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”