PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Long belly #6 WF lines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Paul Arden »

It's quite permissible to change grips between back and forward cast, Jarmo - I do this with comp distance as you'll have seen. When it comes to hitting targets as well as distance, I use Extension. With heavy SW gear I use Radial Deviation because it helps "block" the wrist usage.

Cheers!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.
Answers: 0

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by t.z. »

VGB wrote:The GT90 that I have for fishing larger streams/medium rivers is into somewhere it’s 5th season with no sign of degradation. I’m not sure how long I’ve had my small stream, #3, one of the original brown ones but it gets hammered year in year out.

Regards

Vince
OK; looks like I just got bad batch ...
VGB

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by VGB »

It might be that I am a lightweight caster Thomas :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Paul Arden »

It costs approximately four to five times as much to have flylines manufactured in the USA. I have the Thunderbots made in the USA because I find them to be slicker, harder-wearing and the quality is more consistent.

That said I have a batch of Chinese manufactured lines thaf are more than adequate for fishing *if* you lube them up.

When I eventually design my own taper I will offer both options, US and Chinese. I think that will be very interesting.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by jarmo »

Greetings.

Has anyone happened to measure the weight of the entire head of GT125 6wt? This would be, I assume, approximately the first 73'.

https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-gt125.html
Willy Franzen

Long belly #6 WF lines

Post by Willy Franzen »

George C wrote:So for discussion purposes, here are the weights of this SA anadro line
WF-4-F 150gr / 9,7g
WF-5-F 175gr / 11,3g
WF-6-F 200gr / 12,8g
WF-7-F 225gr / 14,5g
WF-8-F 260gr / 16,8g
WF-9-F 305gr / 19,8g
WF-10-F 355gr / 23,0g

So, am I correct to think that for a 7wt fast action saltwater rod (presumably designed to throw 185gr), if I want to cast with 40+ feet of carry presumably a "5" wt line (175gr + say an extra @ 50 gr of carry), or even a "4" (150gr + say @40gr extra) would be what I would want..............BUT the turnover of the leader and saltwater streamer would suffer because as the line unrolls at the end of the cast the momentum of the fly leg diminishes faster than a heavier line where the weight is concentrated in a shorter distance???
A year late, but... I really like the Anadro as a fishing line. I fish the 5 on my Radian 6 and the 7 on my Meridian 8 when I want to throw junk--streamers or an indicator rig (also awesome for poppers for salmon in Alaska). Most streamer focused floating lines seem to have short heads that limit your control at distance when fishing the fly. It's a horrible dry fly line though, as I learned by accidentally grabbing the wrong spool for a trip.

I don't know why they designate the line weights the way that they do (marketing, I guess), but I've found that going down a size in the Anadro provides a very nice fishing experience for most of the situations that the line was designed for.

Return to “Tackle”