PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Damaged flyline - Help!

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Thomas
Answers: 0

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

I have just noticed that the coating on one of my flylines is severely damaged. The damaged part is about 15 centimeters long. Repairing the coating won't be possible so I guess I will have cut the away damaged part and join the two sections together. Now, I use this line for fishing pike in a river and the pike can be big and the current swift so the connection/repair needs to be really strong. It is of course nice if the connection is smooth as well. How do I do this? I know that Lasse has an article about this (Smooth connections) and the second method is indeed smooth but is it strong enough?

Cheers

Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Paul Arden »

Welding should be fine Thomas. Welded loops break at about 25lbs and that's a hell of a pull through a fly rod. Otherwise strip both sections to the core, whip together and apply Aquasure to the join would be my fix. A bit more clunky but stronger. Is the damage in the head or the running line?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Thomas »

Hi Paul,

The damage is in the runningline.

Cheers

Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Paul Arden »

If strength is what you need then I’d be more inclined to strip to the core, have a one inch section from either end and whip these together. Glue and then slide a braid sleeve over the top, whip either end and Aquasure.

But I don’t have the welding skills that Lasse has. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Graeme H »

The strongest option is some "Gudebrod" braided nylon slipped over both ends of a cut line and bound with nail knots to prevent fraying. Not quite so smooth though.

I'd just buy a new line. Having played with welded repairs and this sleeved version and also puttin up with cracked coating, I always end up just spending the money anyway.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Thomas

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

I have sewn (?) the cores together, whipped them and then coated the whole thing with a soft glue. It seems to be really strong and reasonably smooth. i will see how it works on sunday. :)

Cheers

Thomas
Lasse Karlsson

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Thomas

Sewing it together is a pretty strong way of joining :)
http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/smoot ... ions.shtml

But if it was just the coating that was damaged, you could have gone for this:
http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/smoot ... ons3.shtml

Where in the runningline was the damage?

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. The second way of joining, sticking the core through the core, is very strong, done right I can't pull it apart even without glue. It can ve done double for strongest possible effecr. Some cores are just very difficult to make it on.
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Thomas

Damaged flyline - Help!

Post by Thomas »

Hi Lasse,

The line in question is a Barrio Predator. It has a handling section between the head and the running line. The damaged area was located just where the running line starts.

I´m fascinated the second method - sticking the core through the core - can be so strong! I´m gonna experiment a bit with some old lines.

Thanks guys,

Cheers Thomas

Return to “Tackle”