PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sage Ignite

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sage Ignite

Post by Paul Arden »

Because my fish run, Vince. Or if they don’t then I’m Frenching. X was soft in the wrong places (for me) but I don’t get into that. Once you’ve learned to cast then this shit doesn’t matter at all

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Sage Ignite

Post by VGB »

I agree to a point but I pick a line and a leader taper depending on how far I want to throw the fly and what presentation I’m looking for. My rod selection is the longest for that environment that I can use for line control and can carry the line the distance I need. As you say, being able to cast gives you the option to make one set up do more.

Early in the mayfly, I was throwing bulky size 10/12 dun patterns with a #2 Orvis Supafine line and a long tippet that was designed to collapse, so that I had long static presentation and a light landing. The fish were in 18 inches of water that was running quite fast. Early season when we had a lot of water coming through, I was using a #3 Barrio small stream with a short fast tapered leader to size 16 nymphs with a 3.5mm tungsten bead. Probably a bit more like Czech nymphing. My FG rod has survived multiple nymph strikes, the same cannot be said for my method, it only took one. Soon, I’ll be back sight nymphing with either line at 30ft with size 14-20 lightly weighted nymphs or spiders and hoping for the occasional hatch. I might carry a couple of reels with different tapers and leader set ups if I’m switching between heavy nymphs and dries. If I’m not using heavy nymphs, I’ll just change tippet lengths and stiffness.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
bartdezwaan

Sage Ignite

Post by bartdezwaan »

Lasse. Did you see measurements from a Method?
My Method feels quit a bit softer to me then my TCR and TCX
VGB

Sage Ignite

Post by VGB »

I think the method #5 has a stiff tip and bends below the tip. It feels stiffer than the TCR to me on short lines but softer once you get into longer lines. Perhaps just a different profile?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Lasse Karlsson

Sage Ignite

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

bartdezwaan wrote:Lasse. Did you see measurements from a Method?
My Method feels quit a bit softer to me then my TCR and TCX
Hi Bart

Sadly no, but if you have it, then please measure :)
I've only cast them.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sage Ignite

Post by Paul Arden »

From what I can see from your photos Vince, is that casting any flyline at all is a novelty!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Sage Ignite

Post by VGB »

You must be looking at just the small stream stuff Paul. Most of those fish are caught inside 20ft, it’s a branch of fishing that brings its own challenges. Being on rivers where you can you use fly line is a luxury.

VGB

Sage Ignite

Post by VGB »

Paul

This is where I fished today with a #4 GT90 to size 20 griffiths gnat.
Avon today.jpg
Fish were rising in about 18 inches of water. With a 15ft leader it was too much line for the conditions, I needed to be fishing much lighter.

Regards

Vince

bobtheflounder

Sage Ignite

Post by bobtheflounder »

VGB wrote:I think the method #5 has a stiff tip and bends below the tip. It feels stiffer than the TCR to me on short lines but softer once you get into longer lines. Perhaps just a different profile?

Regards

Vince
Thats what I thought about the method as well.
Lasse Karlsson

Sage Ignite

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Vince just needs to run his method through a ccs measurement, and we'll know for sure ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Tackle”