PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Heat, flylines and friction..

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Thomas
Answers: 0

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody,

The heat here in Sweden is insane. We have not had such a warm summer since, well, forever. And the fishing suffers. And the casting suffers as well. I´m having problems with several of my lines right now - they feel really rough and sticky through the guides which drives me nuts. So at what temperatur do you guys think that "tropical" lines starts to make sense? I also have another question specifically for Paul and it is about the torzite guides. I´m thinking these guides (or something similar) must be way better than ordinary snakes during really warm conditions to minimize the effects of a sticky and rough line. Is this true? And also - would these guides make sense on a 8# rod?

Cheers Thomas G
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Thomas,

I think the first thing you should check with your current lines is that they are clean and well dressed. I think that's more important than line climate ratings if you're fishing in air temperatures of less than (say) 35°C. Wash them in soapy water and dress them with a silicone treatment of your choice. Tropical lines are really only an advantage if you're letting the line sit on a hot deck of a boat or casting in a park. At other times, the line stays fairly cool due to the water it's in most of the time.

Tropical lines vary from company to company. I use the standard tropical Rio lines here in Perth (Western Australia) all year round. Our maximum temperatures don't drop much below 18°C, and the lines are generally okay down to about 15°C. (The newer "In-Touch" tropical lines like the Flats Pro do like the temperature a bit higher though.)

The A!rflo tropical lines are shockers. They feel wirey even in 30° temperatures. I don't use them even the middle of summer (+35°C). However, their standard lines work fine in just about any temperature and I use them all year too.

I haven't got any rods with Torzite guides, but all my own rods have SiC inserts in all guides (Ti frames). That includes my 4wt 'glass rods. They are fine.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas,

One question I have is are you twisting your rings off-plane? If the line is running along the blank it can be fixed this manner.

I use Shoot extensively and it makes a huge difference. I actually have a few non-tropical lines that I fish in the jungle.

The Tozites do make a difference but Shoot makes much more of a difference. Flavio is currently setting up two HT6s - one with torzites. I shall report back!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Graeme and Paul,

Graeme, I do clean my lines carefully and dress the floating ones regularly. I do however mostly use intermediates and slow-sinking lines and if I dress them they float... Do you know of a good line-dressing that works well on sinking lines?

Paul, I do twist the sections when this problem occurs and it always helps a bit. But not completely.

Flavios rod sounds very interesting! I personally would not mind trading a bit of lightness in the tip for less friction. :)

Cheers Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Unfortunately the dressings are silicone base. I do dr as my fast sinking lines and simply pull them under. Bit of a catch 22 with the Intermediate.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”