PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

compound taper

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

compound taper

Post by bartdezwaan »

Why do we want a compound front taper like the MED has?
I know SA says it delays turnover. But what is the benefit?

Cheers, Bart
Bruce Richards

compound taper

Post by Bruce Richards »

Hi Bart,
The MED doesn't have a compound front taper, it is straight and fairly long. The MEDs do have a compound belly though. The back half (approx.) is level the front half tapers slowly larger (heavier) going toward the front taper. This puts more mass in the front of the line. The reason for that is based on some interesting physics...
When loops travel through the air the top leg is trying to accelerate and actually can for a short time if the loop is good enough. As the top leg shortens the energy of the cast is focused less mass. Less mass, same energy = acceleration. But of course there is wind resistance which prevents much acceleration. By increasing the mass in the front part of the belly we can delay mass reduction in the top leg which delays acceleration and conserves energy. The loop turns over a bit slower than a line with a level belly which results in longer carry and a more powerful turnover at the end. MEDS have large tip diameters (more mass) which also helps. Not the best lines for delicacy but they do carry a long ways and deliver well at distance.
I hope that makes sense...
Bruce Richards
bartdezwaan

compound taper

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Bruce.

Thank you for your detailed description.
That makes sense.
You did an awesome job developing this line. It is my favourite for many years now :)

Cheers, Bart
Simon Svahn

compound taper

Post by Simon Svahn »

Please convince them to bring it back in # 4, Bruce!

Cheers
Simon

Return to “Tackle”