PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Shorter Rods

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

John Finn
Answers: 0

Shorter Rods

Post by John Finn »

Are shorter rods an advantage in windy conditions. ie 8' rather than 9'. Thinking of flats fishing so the advantage of the longer rod for line mending does not really apply. Have found casting into a head wind easier with an 8'...............John.
crunch

Shorter Rods

Post by crunch »

When you use short rod and cast heavier line without increasing casting effort it is! Haul accelerates line about the same despite rod length so line speed does not drop too much and heavier line has less wind resistace against its momentum.

Esa
John Finn

Shorter Rods

Post by John Finn »

Think the shorter rod offers less resistance to the wind and less tiring to fish with but does a shorter rod mean lower tip speed all other things being equal. Would you expect to throw much less distance with an 8' rather than a 9' similar rod ?
John.
crunch

Shorter Rods

Post by crunch »

When same line is cast to headwind the difference is very small and shorter rod might even perform better. In calm it is about 3ft but to tail wind longer rod allows higher cast trajectory and performance comes significantly better.

Esa
Graeme H

Shorter Rods

Post by Graeme H »

I love short rods and use them more often than 9' rods. However, the one place I opt for a 9' rod most of the time is on the flats: I normally want a little bit of added rod tip height when I'm in water that is up to waist-deep.

cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Shorter Rods

Post by Paul Arden »

I have a prototype 7’6 10WT but I find it harder to be accurate with this rod. Fighting fish is better however! I’m not sure about casting into the wind however.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”