PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Scott Rods

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

t.z.

Scott Rods

Post by t.z. » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 pm

It´s winter ... cabin fever kicking in. Just trying to learn more about Scott rods. Anybody here fish them?
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams

grunde

Scott Rods

Post by grunde » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:13 am

The (new) G8’8”#4 is very nice! If my cubboard was not already full of fantastic rods I’d definitely get that one...
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful."
George E. P. Box

Always question the assumptions!

Flycasting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Scott Rods

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 am

When I worked for Guide Flyfishing in the UK I really wanted a high end rod to go with the Redington rods. We picked up the Scott dealership and the model I liked back then was the STS series. The Alpha was a very good rod too but quite different. Excellent design and workmanship. In my circles I don’t think I’ve cast anything more recent.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Merlin

Scott Rods

Post by Merlin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:23 am

Hi TZ

What kind of Scott rod are you looking for?

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life

Boisker

Scott Rods

Post by Boisker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I do most of my fishing with Scott rods... 9’4w radian and a 8’4” 4w GS... I obviously like Scott rods :D
Not sure what to say about them though.... the radian is relatively fast, tip action, stiff butt, the GS is more of a medium / flexing action. Fit and finish I think is right up there, unsanded blanks...
nice rods :D

jarmo

Scott Rods

Post by jarmo » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 pm

First, the couple of times I have been in email contact with Scott, I have had excellent service. I like their attitude: quick responses, sound advice, even putting me in touch with a rod designer when necessary. If you have any specific questions about their rods, I recommend you drop them a line.

As for the rods, I used to own a 9’ 6wt Alpha I didn’t like that much. I have fished a lot with a 15’ 9wt T2H I see absolutely no need to replace with anything else.

This year I bought the new G 9’ 6wt, which is at the heavy end of the series. I cast with it practically every day this summer. I seem to enjoy “slower” rods (waterhose type?), both when casting and landing fish. For example, I owned a Sage XP for a while, but greatly preferred a Winston WT. The G has been a good fit for my taste.

Being skeptical about my capability to honestly assess my purchase, in the autumn I took the G and another current 9’ 6wt model out for head to head testing. Compared with the other rod - which costs 50% of the price of G - the G felt smooth. It wasn’t a blind test, so maybe I was deceiving myself, but at least it left me happy with the investment.

I am currently considering getting a 9’ 7wt for saltwater fishing (and MCI training), and will try to test cast the Meridian and the Radian during the winter. I already got some good advice from Scott customer service for making this choice.

Merlin

Scott Rods

Post by Merlin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:21 am

Hi Jarno

It is a good advice to get in touch directly with Scott. I started like that 37 years ago when I bought my first G rod. Today I have a dozen of Scott (crazy isn’it?) in glass and graphite, from 7’ to 10’ and my day to day one is a Radian 905. I own a Meridian 908 which is the equivalent saltwater counterpart. I have not yet decided about a new GS, the one I tested (844) felt slow to me, I was expecting something that would fit the memory I have of my G854 before the tip was broken. Even with a new tip the magic has gone. Next time I shall try the GS 884 or 885. If one suits my taste, that will likely be the last one (before the next).

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life

Thomas

Scott Rods

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:00 am

Hi Thomas,

Rods of high quality for sure. But I have not (yet) found a Scott rod that I have fallen in love with. When the Radian came out and everybody raved about it, I tried the six weight as a possible replacement for my 2-piece Sage XP 691, but I simply dont like it that much. A very soft tip with a fast transition to a much stiffer mid- and butt section. My old XP is smoother I think.
The Meridian is another rod I dont get along with that well. Its very light and stiff. But its too stiff in the butt for my liking. (My favourite saltwater rod is the T&T Vector #8). But I have friends who love these rods so you might love them as well. :)

I am very curious about the new G-series. I love a good slow/medium action trout rod for casting and fishing (under the right circumstances) but I have not tried it yet.

Cheers

Thomas

Boisker

Scott Rods

Post by Boisker » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:03 am

It’s funny Thomas.. I have a 6 and 4 weight radian... the 6w is one of the favourites of the range, but I prefer the 4w; the 6w definitely has a softer tip. I’m not sure how much my preference for the 4w is related to me fishing 4w’s 90% of the time, but the 4w definitely feels faster.

Scott Rods

Post by guest » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 am

I can’t remember if I cast your #4 rod Matt, I must have. Bring it along when we go on the Avon and we can switch between your rod and my ZXL to see the difference.

Regards

Vince
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

Return to “Tackle”