PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Old battered reels required!

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I might be tempted to pay more if they lasted longer :p What I liked about STH apart from inventing the cartridge system they had some higher quality reels that could be loaded with a cartridge. I have always been a fan of the cartridge system since my reservoir days. For Stillwater fishing I carry four lines as a minimum.

Something I’ve been thinking about designing is a reel with a more practical braking system. Turning a knob on the other side of the handle while fighting a fish is not the worlds best design :D.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
sms
Answers: 0

Post by sms »

Integrated reel foot is something I don’t like. You ruin that and you ruin the reel.

If you ruin a reel foot on normal, you just swap that.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Only if it's screwed on, and not glued or riveted on, and you can get a replacement :blush:

Got four plastic reels where the reel foot is broken, since they are cast in one go, no replacing the reel foot. ..

I'm with Sakari here!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:Something I’ve been thinking about designing is a reel with a more practical braking system. Turning a knob on the other side of the handle while fighting a fish is not the worlds best design :D.

Cheers, Paul
I've seen a few reels with the drag knob on the same side as the handle, inside the spool's centre. I've been rather fond of my knuckles so far and have never seen the attraction of putting my knuckles in the way of a handle that's rapidly rotating as a fish runs, just so I could adjust the drag.

I'll stick with the drag control on the other side thanks ... :) Just make it large enough to be useful and I'm a happy chappy.

There was a failed attempt at a lever drag on a reel released in Oz a few years back (Rovex). That had potential but the implementation was poor.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Interesting. Do you have a link please Graeme? I don’t think the screw knob works at all - all you do is undo it to pull line out and reset it for the fish to pull line out. I can think of quite a few ways that can be improved.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Bauer SST3

https://www.bauerflyreel.com/fly-reels/sst-reels/

I can't find many more on searching, but there's one for you.

I'm happiest with reels that have "one-turn" drags, so zero effect to full on within 1 turn of the drag knob. The Mako reels are a good example. I've got a few reels that are similar, but I'm fishing salt mostly. I see many of the freshwater reels have many revolutions of the drag knob from "off" to "full", presumably to offer finer adjustment of the drag settings.

The Mako works best for me because that large knob is easily set to a given and repeatable drag setting within that single turn. Costs a fair bit for the privilege. :(

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Will

Post by Will »

Not cheap but a really interesting design; quite a few salmon fishing friends of mine swear by these.
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
Nick

Post by Nick »

So if you design a reel to go with the hot torpedo, what are you going to call it? The Depth charge? The Nutz?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Decisions decisions :p

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

It should be, and will be eventually, of course, The Dog's Bollocks :-).

L

Return to “Tackle”