PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Are the flyrods of today too light?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Sakari, thats super cool, but I doubt any manufactures are going the slide ring reel seat route anytime soon :D

And it will be cool if materials bring more strengt to the market, atm it seems like its being sold on the usual marketing bs though.

Remember the orvis resin that should make them super strong, and five of them blew up in a matter of hours in some dofus distance casters hands so I didnt get to try them :D

Here's hoping the resins will be good enough :cool:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Thomas wrote:Hi everybody,

Lasse, I do think that rods are getting lighter. For example, if I compare my old 6 weight XP with a friends 6 weight ONE I think the difference i quite noticeable. And its not just the reelseat and the handle. The whole rod feels lighter and stiffer.

/Thomas

Hi Thomas

Key word there is feel!

Throw them both on a scale and let's see the numbers :)

I agree that the one was stiffer than the XP! But between RPL/XP/Z-AXIS there wasnt really any difference, and the X should be softer than the One right? Thats a 30 year span of rods right there.

Cheers
Lasse

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Lasse,

I will throw them on the scale when I get the opportunity to do so. But I will be very surprised if the ONE does not come out lighter, and not only in the butt-section but in the upper parts as well.

What do you think about a rod as the ONE by the way? Do you think it would be better if it was lighter still?

Cheers Thomas
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Thomas

You forgot to ask if I think it is good at the weight it has, and do it make good coffee? ;)
I really like the 10 foot 8 weight, but as it can't make a decent cup of cocao, I don’t see myself buying one.

I'd like to try it when half the weight is cut from each section and it is stronger ;) I can not tell how it would be if it was lighter since I haven't tried that...

Cheers
Lasse

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody,

So, Lasse won't be buying any new rods unless they can make a good cup of coffee or cacao. That strategy will be good for your wallet Lasse! ;) Me, I just wanted to know if you all think the current crop of rods would be even better if they were lighter. I personally think that most high-end rods today already are as light as I want them to be. Some rods - particularly in the lower line-weights and in shorter lengths - would suit me better if they we're slightly heavier.

Cheers Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that they are about optimal Thomas. I would like to be able to make longer rods for light lines in say the 3-4WT class. For example a 10ft 4WT with the HT action. Currently I cannot accomplish this with present materials.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Paul,

Yes, I can see the use for new and lighter materials for long light-line rods.

Cheers Thomas
crunch

Post by crunch »

Perhaps lighter rod needs to be softer when it bends less because of lighter blank weight but perhaps not because line accelerates faster when blank is lighter and line weight bends rod enough. I think lever effect increase and whip effect decrease when blank gets lighter.

Esa
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

If you are measuring rods you need to measure the Swingweight as well. That pretty easy. http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/swingweight.shtml I would argue that this is far more important than overall weight. When I move to the houseboat I’ll set up a rod measuring station and start adding to the CCS database.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tackle”