PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Royal Wulff Long Belly Fly Line

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Royal Wulff Long Belly Fly Line

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hello everyone,

I am searching for a long belly weight forward, in white, and i was wondering if anyone has used this line? Currently I use a Barrio GT125 #5 on my #6 rods, and a #6 SA ED. Not wishing to go into detail about the Barrio, but i measured the #6 and it was nearly a #7. The #5 i have currently is around #5.5 which i do like on my rods, and the taper of the line is really nice.

Anyway!

I know Mel Krieger used to use a white line, and judging by his casting in his 'faults and fixes' DVD, i have come to the conclusion that he was using quite a long belly WF. Or maybe this was a DT? I would imagine Paul knows the answer to this, as you knew him. :yeahhh:

Thanks all

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
piffilus

Re: Royal Wulff Long Belly Fly Line

Post by piffilus »

Paul has his white longbelly Thunderbolt line though it only seems to be available in 5 weight now. The orange tropical Thunderbolt in 6 weight is available as is Lumiline 6 weight DT intermediate. All his lines conforms to AFFTA, or so he says anyway :D

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/web ... /fly-lines
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Many thanks for that! I will have to check it out!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys, sorry I’ve been in the jungle without Internet. I’m not sure what Mel was using. This was some time ago and the tapers were pretty straightforward then.

The Thunderbolt is the original Sage TCR taper designed by Jerry basically a long WF with a very long tear taper. I really liked this line and so asked if I could use it. It was same era as XXD but I think slightly more versatile for Rolls/fishing etc. Not much between them down the tape. Made it in white for take detection on rivers. I’m not sure we have any 6WT left a few 5s maybe. Oh we also made them slightly stiffer because when they originally went from SA to RIO they were softer (or at least that’s how I think it went).

I’ve asked Lee to check what we have and I’ll have a look here tomorrow. It’s not a big thing for us and I just tend to roll off 50 lines that I would like, keep some for myself and try to sell the rest :laugh: I’m fully aware it’s not the way to do business but it’s the best way I could think of to have lines that I want!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

This is from memory so all facts are 50/50...

But, a while back I caught a note that Cortland was coming out with a new bonefish line and it has a white front end. Taper and belly I expect. I also believe it was to be tropical.

I contacted Cortland and their local rep returned my call, but all we have done since is play phone tag.

It is likely a long belly, but maybe not?

I personally like a bright line to cast at shadowed shorelines so that was my interest.

I will renew my inquiry and report if possible. I have a little say in products the shop carries and of course a bonefish line is popular in these parts... so I am hoping for a comp or discount..
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Tackle”