PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Rod Guides

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Fly Rod Guides

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lasse,

The Torzite material is supposed to be tougher and slicker. Certainly I’ve had SICs fall apart in the past - although it’s rare. We have close to 50 HT10s out there and we haven’t had a single ring fault. I was intrigued by the Fuji tests showing that the material was slicker which was why I fitted them to the original HT10 first production rod. They are light but obviously heavier than recoils - we have had the odd recoil ring out there break from time to time.

I have a huge history of worn snake rings. H&H being the best even those will wear under hard conditions. It’s very noticeable the increased friction with Snakes compared to Torzites. I really need to test Torzites vs SICs as the Japanese have done.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Worn snake rings, don't we all have a huge history of that 😂

And yeah, impact resistance of sics and similar seem to be not so high, but I've never worn a groove into one.. And I do spinfish etc.

Two identical rods (preferavly three) with torzite on one and sic on second (and snakes on third) and then cast against each other with multipel casters and alot of data collected would be nice 😎
I fitted a blank with sics years back and cast it against a duplicate blank fitted with snakes, no difference in casting distance (an article had promised at least a 10% increase 😉) though the sics felt so so slippery compared. Lost all the data and the article I wrote in a pc melt down, might be worth redoing as I just realized I have two rods set up at the moment the same way 😊

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s worth redoing because I have some snake ringed rods here that really struggle with the Snakehead shot. I do have recs on the HT8 but when I switched back I noticed a difference even with a new line (but it’s not an identical set up). I did compare single leg H&H to recoils and the H&H shot further.

It’s been a long time since I’ve fished or cast a rod with SICs. So I’m not sure how they compare. Fuji did a video of testing Torzites in a lab wearing white suits. It was produced like an open university programme in the mid 70s so I took it seriously. It didn’t have subtitles either! :p

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Paul

have you cast a rod with any Torzite guides?

Magnus
"Actually I can't because you are right! " Paul Arden 8/6/2019
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes of course, I’ve had them on my 10WT for the past 3 1/2 years. It’s my 5WT distance rod and my Snakehead Rod. We also have them fitted on the HT12 and Rampage. They are standard on the HT10.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
carlz

Post by carlz »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:37 am I do like the Torzite material that this manufacturer makes. Hugely expensive and certainly superior to snakes etc. but how much better than SiC I don’t know - although the rings appear bullet-proof.
I've been very happy with Alconite guides. They feel just as slick as SiC at 25% the cost, but if you're going saltwater or Ti frames, then SiC is the way to go.

I'm still waiting for a rod that I find worthy of the cost of a set of Torzite guides. I have a hard time justifying a full set of Ti SiC guides on freshwater rods. Paul, if you put one on a HT and do a side by side comparison, I would love to hear the results. I can't imagine it making a detectable difference (when actually measuring the casts).

I don't buy the smaller guide theory for fly lines. I have a great casting 6wt with small guides and it does fine, but not significantly better than larger guides. And as you shrink the ring size, knots and loops get harder to pass through the rod. The 6wt in question requires I thread the rod with the very tip of the fly line because when I double over the main portion of the head, it won't thread through the guides. It still casts great, but it's not worth the effort.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I hope Paul switches to these soon :p

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

“Increase your accuracy”. You should buy some Lasse :p I actually emailed them a couple of times way back but they never replied. I wanted to test them with shooting heads. There is a lot of marketing around them however. Hype often means something is not right.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I've never been able to find any test data that support the "more distance" claims,, and they've been around for years now, you'd imagine someone would have taken two rods and a tape measure out into a field and done it, wouldn't you 😉 secondly, if they gave a real advantage, every competition caster would have them fitted already....

Accuracy, yeah, if you get them for distance I'll get them for accuracy 😜

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Tackle”