PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly line life

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Fly line life

Post by Graeme H »

andrewparkeruk wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:15 am
A question about silicone: is there a product which doesn’t cost several £/€ for a small bottle?

Thank you, Andrew
Yes, there is. Well there's one that's much more reasonable: silicone personal lubricant. Yes, the stuff used in the bedroom (or the couch or the kitchen, if that's your thing ... :) ). It works really well on fly lines and is about 1/4 the price of the stuff sold by fly shops.

Make sure you get the silicone version and not the water-based one. The latter just gums things up.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ll have to check that out Graham. How did you discover it?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

andrewparkeruk wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:15 am A question about silicone: is there a product which doesn’t cost several £/€ for a small bottle?
Hi Andrew
Haven't tried the personal lubricant but did find high grade silicone oil (went for higher viscosity version) that is sold as treadmill lubricant on eBay.

Avoid the stuff with hydrocarbon (petroleum? solvent) content.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Hornbeam

Post by Hornbeam »

andrewparkeruk wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:15 am
Paul Arden wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm That’s probably the best way to do it Andrew! I’ll be honest my lines and rods normally live outdoors. Apart from silicone I don’t do any maintenance.

Cheers, Paul
You fish everyday: you are the winner!

My friend David is a bait fisherman. His float rod never is taken apart; the middle joint is separated when travelling in the car. The nylon and the hook could be 20 years old.

A question about silicone: is there a product which doesn’t cost several £/€ for a small bottle?

Thank you, Andrew
Some time ago, Charles Jardine used to recommend stuff sold in places like Halfords for sprucing up vinyl interior surfaces of cars. It comes in spray cans. You spray a bit onto a soft cloth (duster) and polish your fly line with it. I may be dreaming this, but I think it may have been called 'Back to Black'? Please don't take this as gospel and I accept no responsibility for any experiment, but I seem to remember it working for me without adverse effect.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:38 am I’ll have to check that out Graham. How did you discover it?

Cheers, Paul
It came to me while I should have been sleeping ... :D

True, if a little embarrassing. :p
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve used back to black and armorall but find they dry out the line. I have treadmill stuff too - some is like Gink fly floatant etc. But the Shoot stuff we use is runnier than water. It’s possible that perhaps silicone oil mixed with mineral oil could be the answer!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I have been using "303" on my lines for years with great results. It cleans, protects, and increases their lifetime. While it does lube the line well, it does not leave a slick silicone coating on the surface of the line.

Google "303 Aerospace protectant"

Now if you do want that extreme slickness from silicone - the line lube from Monic Flylines has proven to be the best I can find here in the US.

(Although I would not suggest it for "personal" endeavors.)

In either case, avoid any product that lists "petroleum distillates" on the label.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Wow! Quite a range there, thank you all.

I have looked at the various suggestions. Firstly I will try the 100% silicone (polydimethylsiloxane) oil for treadmills: it is not too expensive, and was simple to select a format and supplier on eBay. The one I have chosen claims low viscosity; I selected that one based on Paul's point.
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

PS I have just seen another of @Graeme H's posts where he speaks of https://www.autoglym.com.au/bumper-trim-gel
I have some of that: a car we bought came with a small suitcase of AutoGlym products, and we aren't very big on cleaning cars. I may give that a try also
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

andrewparkeruk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:49 pm PS I have just seen another of @Graeme H's posts where he speaks of https://www.autoglym.com.au/bumper-trim-gel
Yep, I use that as a line conditioner after cleaning the line (e.g. at home). I don't dress my line with it on the water though because it works best if left to dry before buffing it off the line.

That Aerospace 303 is also very good.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Tackle”