PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Kayaks advise needed.

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

OkieBrad
Answers: 0

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by OkieBrad »

My wife and I are looking for kayaks. We will use them mostly on Oklahoma lakes or slow moving waters. My wife finds it easier to row with a "sit on top" style. Any suggestions, advice, past experiences (good or bad), even point me in the right direction for learning about kayaks would be greatly appreciated for selecting the right kayak. Also what accessories do you use or suggest when fishing day trips?

Thanks,
OkieBrad
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Brad, I use them a lot for my fishing and love them. Just so convenient. All the sit on top I've seen and used are stable (short for their width) and tough as boots. I don't think you can go wrong.

Sometimes there's a rope carry handle at the front which you have to cut off for fishing. Also you need a net. Trying to unhook fish directly leads to problems esp if the leader rubs the side of the kayak - instant break.

You need to tie everything to the boat apart from yourself and your rod. Paddle I attach with rope - not that I've ever lost it!

If you fancy fishing a drift in the wind, they drogue up really well. A drogue is an underwater parachute.

I would invest in a waterproof bag. Water drips off the oars and water can come over the front of the boat - if you get caught in a wave. Incidentally if you do find yourself in big waves, steer into the big ones and take your time. I crossed a lake earlier this year in Malaysia with rolling waves coming over the bow and at night! Completely unplanned of course but quite exciting!

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Viking Lars »

I have just recently acquired some experience myself. Sit on tops are really nice and they are very easy to row and sail. No, they are not as fast and direction-stable as a "real" sea kayak, but far easier to sail, and a sea kayak is pretty f...... difficult to cast from!

I agree with everything Paul said, but will add this: A LIFE VEST! And don't buy the ones that automatically inflate when you drop in. As Paul said, quite a lot of water drips of the paddle, and sometimes it's enough to set off the cartridge :D .

I'm considering getting a drysuit, but for now, I'll use my normal fishing outfit.

Remember to pack EVERYTHING water tight - including the stuff you stow in the "cargo hold" - if the kayak flips, everything gets wet.

I look forward to trying a drogue myself - I've used a folding anchor (oh, get a small anchor with a piece of chain on it - nothing like anchoring up and concentrating on fishing a good spot :-) as a drogue - works OK when folded, doesn't low the boat down much, but holds the direction.

Lars
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Paul Arden »

I think one of the best things you can ever do, as someone who spends a lot of time in and around water, is to get swimming lessons. I don't just mean learn to swim, but properly, as in 5Km is an enjoyable and easy swim.

As a kid, I don't know what age, ten maybe, I was saved out the sea. I wasn't drowning, but I was on my way out to sea and a lifeguard came to the rescue. Learning to swim - properly - in my late 20s was one of the most positive things I've done as an adult and would recommend it to everyone involved in water sports. It's an incredible feeling to have the confidence knowing to know that you can swim 5 or 10kms with no problems. And it's only technique that with proper coaching and practise is easy to learn.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Paul Arden »

Furthermore :p with a lung full of air we float! It's only panic that causes drowning.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Viking Lars »

Can you hold your breath to stay afloat for as long as I can stay afloat in my life vest? :D

Seriously, I would never consider going out in a kayak without one. Sure, if I only fished calm, 22 degrees hot water, no problem. But I fish the sea, lakes (and hopefully rivers at some point), and I also plan on using my kayak from October to March, and in those temepratures, I want a life vest and preferably a dry siut as well! A lung ful of air ain't gonna keep you warm :-)

L
Viking Lars

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Viking Lars »

BTW, in Denmark we have a slightly stupid law. When you go to sea, you are required by law to have on board a life vest for yourself (and any passengers), but not to wear it... :glare:

L
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Paul Arden »

Cold water will certainly kill you and I would certainly never venture out in it without a wet or dry suit. And yes mid winter: dry suit. In very cold water you have something like two to three minutes of consciousness. That's obviously a different thing altogether.

I don't think you should have to wear a life jacket in a boat. When I'm swimming I don't wear a life jacket, why should I wear one when I'm out the water?! On average I swim 10km/week in the summer, all open water. It would be burocratic pen-pushing BS to tell me to wear a life jacket. And they do this now at Rutland and Hanningfield. I would happily swim Rutland from one arm to the other, what a load of Heath and Safety BS! I hate these little grey men - the world is full of them and we shouldn't give them an inch.

Cheers, Paul :)

Flycasting Definitions
Dave Alexander

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by Dave Alexander »

Hi Brad,

I have been considering getting a kayak as well for a while. A friend from work who also fishes bought one a couple of years ago and ended up getting a Wilderness System 12ft Pungo and absoultely loves it. This is a sit in but has a larg cockpit opening so isn't restrictive. Matt is one of those guys that researches everything to death before buying them, and for under $1000 thought that was the best out there for fishing. He though the 12ft Tarpon would be a good choice if you want a sit on top. He fly fishes and spinfishes out of them in lake and rivers. Some times dealers will start reduceing prices at the end of the year, so sept to Dec is not a bad time to look for them.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/produc ... reational/
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/produc ... reational/

Cheers.

P.S. Lars Nova Scotia has the same rules about life jackets. You just need them in the boat. :O
OkieBrad

Kayaks advise needed.

Post by OkieBrad »

Thanks for all the advice.

From the different reviews I have read I would do well with a 10ft kayak. 12ft to 14ft are better suited to rougher, larger waters? One of the most common problems I have read is carrying handles often breaking and hard to replace. Any of you had this problem? Some have multiple compartments. Do you often use these or do the just fill up with water? How easy or hard is it to get on the kayak in deep water and what makes it different for each kayak? Do any come with an ice chest and how long will it keep my beer cold? :???:

Return to “Tackle”