PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bread

Moderator: Haggisboy

RudyV
Answers: 0

Bread

Post by RudyV »

:p fair enough. I bake bread weekly - wouldn't bother baking it in the outdoors without an oven of some sort. Since I'm not lugging one of those along, I'll take the "and here's one I made earlier" type.

Although if you wanted to, for shirts and goggles, you could try to build a woodfired oven with river boulders, and bake like that. Just watch out they don't explode on you (bit dramatic, mostly just crack).

Take some photos when do!

(I'm assuming you're not interested in damper style?)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Bread

Post by Paul Arden »

I've read about damper style, but don't know what it is? Does it involve beer?

I think a small cast iron camp oven would be perfect, but the ones I have are all too large and would involve bringing along a pony. :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Bread

Post by Graeme H »

Damper is the bread we bake in camp fires in Oz. It's just a moist dough made with self raising flour, salt and water and cooked in one of several ways. Camp ovens give great results, but it's also easy to cook it by wrapping the dough around a green stick and suspending it over the coals, turning occasionally until cooked.

Break it off the stick and eat it hot, smothered in butter and Vegemite.

Cheers,
Graeme

(Another way to cook it is to drape it on a pre-heated river-rock.)
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Bread

Post by Paul Arden »

No I hate doing things like that. Anyone trying to do this around any campfire that I build will be evicted.

Same with "pokers". Those people who feel that they have to manage the fire by poking a stick at it. There is nothing more annoying in life. They're closely related to those bastards who like to keep adding small wood so that it goes up down up down, warm, hot, warn, hot. "Leave the fucking fire ALONE! Or I will kill you and dance on your grave"
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Chase Jablonski

Bread

Post by Chase Jablonski »

Paul Arden wrote:Alternatively does anyone know if there are mini-size camp ovens around?
I use a small one (2 quarts) from Texsport. I'm sure there are higher quality ones out there but it's cheap and it works well to make a good stew or cobbler for 1-3 people. I've been meaning to try bread. Let me know how your trials go.

Return to “Manshit”