PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Olimpics

Moderator: Haggisboy

John Waters
Answers: 0

Olimpics

Post by John Waters »

There is no hope at all. The Olympic Committee decide which sports get in and the obvious criteria apply in 2016. As for issues about other sport's winners get xxxxx, casting winners get a handshake, well welcome to the real world, you'll have to be happy with a handshake, I was.

The best we can hope for is World Games and that is a faint hope.

Casting (fly, plug and weight) delivers many things to participants, getting on sports richest list ain't one of them.

If you want to be a casting champion and get cash, then the first stage is to get that cash from competitors in the form of fees. Do casting competitors want a huge escalation of entries, affiliations etc etc. The next stage is to get the cash from sponsors. Which rod/line/tackle company is going to fork out the cash? Then go outside the trade and get money from Nike, CNN etc etc etc. Ain't gonna happen on any of these three levels.

Grumpy old barstool, aren't I.

John
Michal Duzynski

Olimpics

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Not you are not John
Message laud and clear.
Well looks like we are going to keep doing what we doung and we will be uniqe as not everybody( even fly fisherman) can call themselfs competition distance/accuracy caster for that matter.
Mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Olimpics

Post by Paul Arden »

There are some pretty good prizes starting to appear. A friend of mine won 1000 Euros recently in Austria. Rod companies are always donating rods for prizes. It's a start!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Olimpics

Post by John Waters »

No Michal we cannot continue with what we have been doing but that is very much a different question that should generate a very, very different response. Casting in all forms is a sport and to be a casting champion you need to compete in the sport's formal event structure, on specified days in specified locations, under specified rules. The same as every sport requires.

You're right Paul, gear sponsorship is available and that needs everyone to get on board and support. That would be a far more productive strategy for both the short and long term for our sport than Olympic entry. I'm afraid our sport has too many takers, not enough givers for even that step to flourish. There are some excellent people doing great work for casting, we just need to get them some help and much more support.

Pessimistic barstool aren't I.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Olimpics

Post by Paul Arden »

If Dressage can be an olympic sport then I think we're in with a chance :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Olimpics

Post by John Waters »

Hope you're right Paul and I am very, very wrong.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Olimpics

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Na John, more like a realistic barstool :D

I for one, do not understand the desire to be in the olympics?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Olimpics

Post by Paul Arden »

It's not a goal of mine, but when Jersey got its membership of ICSF I had a letter saying that it was their aim and that we need more countries.I don't know what other criteria are involved but i have heard this before. For me having a world championships in these discipline has been a major step forward and I'm very thankful to everyone involved and especially the Norwegians for making it happen. I can imagine that some day it might be an olympic sport, but I'm not holding my breath!

I'm not so keen to see lots of money involved however, because that can bring out a side of competition that I don't like seeing. I like seeing everyone win and am happy for those who do. In the game we play I think most if not all feel the same way. I've built some very strong friendships through competition. Looking forward to see you in UK 2018!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Olimpics

Post by Paul Arden »

It's the lycra, Lasse.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Olimpics

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:It's the lycra, Lasse.
Since we're a "sport" related to water, I'd have imagined it would have been spandex :D

And given the mishaps with those swimsuits, I'd hate to imagine you in one of those :sick:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Manshit”