PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bikes

Moderator: Haggisboy

Haggisboy

Bikes

Post by Haggisboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:33 am

Hey Dude,

Yeah, def need mud guards, there are a lot of clip on ones for bikes these days, my colleagues all seem to have them. Should I get a wicker shopping basket on my rack? Was thinking of getting one of those Ortlieb waterproof panniers for the back, which I guess will need a rack...then I will need a new IPod, helmet, cycling clips and last but not least lots of lycra...... :p

Marc Fauvet

Bikes

Post by Marc Fauvet » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 pm

as long as it's fluorescent pink you'll be fine :D

rack- weight on the front wheel is a lot less destabilizing than on the back wheel. stand up to pedal and you'll notice the difference instantly.
mud guards- stay away from little, short or too narrow ones, they don't do shit. go for maximum wrap-around.

another thought- put reflective safety tape on pedals, seat tube, handle-bar front, etc.
cyclists all too easily forget how semi-invisible they can be to cars.

last survival tip: never assume for a second that anyone sees you (or that you will be given the right of way). :)

cheers,
marc

ps- watch out for soft verges :laugh:

Svend

Bikes

Post by Svend » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Haggisboy wrote:
Any recommendations on these bikes, the hybrid bikes look interesting enough.
For a hybrid cross bike you could do a lot worse than the Quick CX range from Cannondale. They all come with shitty cassettes and junk pedals, maybe you could get your bike shop to upgrade them for you. The stock Kenda tyres wear out pretty fast too. Other than that they're quite nice bikes and they have all the eyelets for racks and fenders etc. My only hands on experience is with the Quick CX 1 though. I'm sure other brands make similar bikes.

PS1: Maybe you could get somebody else's spare bike as a loaner just to see if commuting is for you and then take it from there? It's possible that you hate commuting but love hitting the trails in your spare time. Or you are a natural born road racer, or a weekend warrior, or...

PS2: Lots of good advice from Marc!

Cheers, Svend

Haggisboy

Bikes

Post by Haggisboy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:24 pm

I settled on a cube hybrid (thanks skeg) with 700c wheels (thanks svend) I have yet to find the pink lycra....Campbell

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Bikes

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 pm

I live on a gravel road, and have a road bike, so for me to go riding I have to drive the bike to the road. It's also about the only time I visit the local village, where I pick up man supplies of beer and beans. Consequently I go in lycra.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Marc Fauvet

Bikes

Post by Marc Fauvet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am

btw, Campbell. always expect the unexpected.... :D
Attachments
tumblr_mqcqks421G1r7tlm5o1_1280.jpg

Haggisboy

Bikes

Post by Haggisboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Nice.

I did my first ride to work yesterday, 12 miles from door to door, I didn't see any bears but I did see three roe deer, some pike feeding on baitfish and some choice graffiti..

lepirate

Bikes

Post by lepirate » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:14 pm

:cool: Engines, fuk off big shiny ones..... (soz :) )

TrevH

Bikes

Post by TrevH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Haggisboy wrote:Nice.

I did my first ride to work yesterday, 12 miles from door to door, I didn't see any bears but I did see three roe deer, some pike feeding on baitfish and some choice graffiti..
Did you actually get to work?!

Sorry I'm late but .... there were these deer you see .... and then .... those pike were just hammering into those .... and the, well, the street art ...

Oh .... It's time to go home.....

Oh, that street art .... those pike ... those deer ....: :D :D :D

Haggisboy

Bikes

Post by Haggisboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:15 pm

I did get to work, even on time. First bike ride in about 16 years though.....

Return to “Manshit”