PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Creatine

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Creatine

Post by Paul Arden »

I've "loaded" with Creatine a few times this year. Creatine is naturally produced in the body to help muscle repair, it also stores water in the muscles. The research I've done has indicated that as a vegetarian it's particularly hard for your body to produce creatine, so taking synthetic creatine supplements help. Also, it makes vegetarian women smarter, this may or may not be a good thing.

My question is, should I Creatine load just prior to the IM? I will definitely load after the IM and go into a heavy weights programme (post last IM saw me lose muscle mass!).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Creatine

Post by Paul Arden »

Hmmm, I followed a few links while this page was waiting to load. Apparently it won't make much difference. Maybe it's being a vegetarian, but I've found a huge difference with Creatine, even on long/ish runs. Weight lifting no question of course.

Fish, unfortunately, is another supplement that I've found to give excellent results.

Flycasting Definitions
Snake Pliskin
Answers: 0

Creatine

Post by Snake Pliskin »

It'll make a difference to power output, sprinting and picking heavy shit up, it won't make any difference to performance in endurance.
I'd take it just because you're veggimafied. 2-5g per day or so will saturate creatine levels in muscle to about the same as your more omnivorous friends.
No need to load it, just start taking about 5g a day and don't stop ever!
Losing muscle mass is to do with the body's adaptation to running, swimming, and biking a million miles. Creatine won't help that directly, but will help you feel stronger after the race so you can put the weight back on. Maintaining muscle mass and doing an ironman do not go hand in hand!
When's the race? I hope its not so hot this time! Are you in the uk?
Chris Dore

Creatine

Post by Chris Dore »

Have you thought about effervescent creatine? No loading phase ans very quick absorption.
rrw35

Creatine

Post by rrw35 »

Never loaded on it. Waste of money.

5mg a day seems to be optimum.
Stevie D

Creatine

Post by Stevie D »

No need to load apparently, the best advice I have found on creatine(and whey protein) comes from Will Brink. Check out www.thebrinkzone.com He looks only at the bona fide clinical studies and tells it like it is!
Steve.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Creatine

Post by Paul Arden »

In the end I didn't take creatine before the IM, but I did eat a lot of fish (and pasta). After the race (first one I haven't finished.. but anyway..) I've gone straight back to weights and 1-2 teaspoons creatine/day.

It's been an interesting summer!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Manshit”