PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Weights

Moderator: Haggisboy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Weights

Post by Paul Arden »

Thoroughly enjoying weight lifting at the moment - it seems to give me the quickest and easily measurable results. Curious to see what impact it has when I pick up distance practising again. I can't help but think we're underestimating it.

What do you guys do for flexibility? I'm thinking of trying some yoga this summer.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
andrewparkeruk
Answers: 0

Weights

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Pilates and Hatha Yoga for me, since the beginning of Sep-2013. I am lucky to have found two really good teachers.
From what I read, Pilates was designed to repair faulty bodies; that describes me fine. I find beginners/intermediate Pilates works bits of the body in isolation, great for older bastards like me (57) who have neglected themselves for years, spending all day sitting: behind a steering wheel/at a desk/at a dinner table/on a settee. Advanced Pilates must be pretty good, but I use basic Pilates to give me the strength and flexibility for Yoga.
Iyengar/Astanga/Hatha Yoga is far more complex, it will take me many years to get to an advanced standard ... really something to strive for. Iyengar is a really good style to look for if you haven't done Yoga before; it was designed for Westerners in the swinging 60s.

Andrew
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Weights

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Andrew, I spend a good half hour - over morning coffee - stretching. Sometimes more. It would be good I think to put some design around this. One thing I've noticed about guys (and girls) who do yoga - they do seem to carry themselves very well.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Weights

Post by Thomas »

Yoga and Pilates is great for strengthening your core muscles. I think that a greater strenght in the core could have great effects on casting. Especially distance casting. Distance casting is partly about generating power from the feet and up, It is about transfereing weight, and a well trained core is essential if this is to be done in a powerful and smooth way. If you watch even top distance casters it is clear that there is a lot of room for improvement here. You seldom see a smooth and powerful transfer of weight. My girlfriend is a former ballet dancer and while I am much much stronger than her in the arms and the legs, her core strenght is miles better than mine. This means that she also is a lot better than me at making more extreme movements (such as a powerful distance stroke) with power and control than I am.

/Thomas

/Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Weights

Post by Paul Arden »

It's strange you should say that, Thomas. I was thinking a lot about the core the last few days. I've been running ~20K most days for the last month and lifting weights, but not very much on the core. When I get up in the morning I feel I really need to stretch my lower back and hips. It's definitely something I should be working on. Cycling up hills I've always found pretty good for the core. It's certainly something I've neglected for most of my training.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chase Jablonski

Weights

Post by Chase Jablonski »

Tai Chi definitely helped me, Paul. Like Thomas mentioned, smooth weight transfer is important, also balance, smoothness, and strength.

Cheers.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Weights

Post by Paul Arden »

I've always fancied a bit of Tai Chi! Hey Chase are you coming to the world championships in Norway in August?There are usually four or five Americans over and it would be great to catch up (I may see you before this anyway!).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Weights

Post by Thomas »

Hi Paul,

Well I have neglected all training for a couple of months now and started smoking again as well. Idiotic. :( Im going cold turkey and will start training again tomorrow. For me it tends to be all or nothing. I have periods when I exercise, eat well, stay of the tobacco and so on, and periods when everything just falls apart. I have to get better at staying on the right track...
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Weights

Post by Paul Arden »

Welcome to my world :p
As Bruce Richards once said (about me I think) "if something is worth doing it's worth doing to excess" :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Chase Jablonski

Weights

Post by Chase Jablonski »

Paul Arden wrote:Hey Chase are you coming to the world championships in Norway in August?There are usually four or five Americans over and it would be great to catch up (I may see you before this anyway!).
Sounds fun, Paul but I won't be there. I'll be in Livingston in August.

Return to “Manshit”