PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wet hands when touching fish

Moderator: Paul Arden

Glenda
Answers: 0

Post by Glenda »

Okay, so yet another bloody topic from me......you know you can tell me to stop at any time......

How important is it to have wet hands when handling a fish that you intend to release after a photo is taken or just getting it out of the net?

I was told that I must always remember to wet my hands before handling the fish because my dry hands would remove a special coating/slime on the fish and it wouldn't survive if handled by dry hands.

Is that everyone else's belief?
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes. In fact best is not to handle them at all. However if you are going to handle them then wet hands (dry hands remove slime and it helps to cool the hands when wet). Also no sunscreen or insect repellent. Ray has a big thing at the moment that fish shouldn't be handled at all. I would like to see some more information on this. I think the biggest fish killer of all is out the water too long - suffocation. And yes poor handling is very bad for the fish, especially barbed hooks, knotted mesh and so on. Most SW fish I've experienced seem hardier than trout. But I also don't believe that fish are delicate flowers. Hell, we strip them for eggs and milk them, I've worked on a fishery where they certainly get knocked around a LOT. But I am listening, Ray.

On the other side I think fish should be handled sometimes. I've seen non-handled fish spin to the bottom of a lake that wouldn't have, had they had a bit of balance before release. Whether the fish then die, would have died anyway or live happily ever after I can't say. Ray's big thing is no handling. My big thing is not out the water for more than 3 seconds, the fight needs to be hard and everything must be done to minimise damage. When trout fishing I use an enormous net which doubles as a cage. This I believe gives the best release of all. Especially when a fish is hooked deeply. For me it's not possible to get photographs without it. To me the photograph is less important than the survival of the fish, however I'd also rather admire the fish later in the photograph than keep him for longer than necessary.

SW fish I have a little bit less love for and see things as a bigger chain. But I still keep the 3s rule in place.No fish should ever be out the water for more than 3 seconds. 20 seconds is very bad for trout and 40 seconds means death (I believe).

So anyway, yes wet clean hands are a must!

Cheers, Tarzan
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Yup!

The slime that covers the fish is it's first line of defense against infections. Removing it opens a free door of entry. Wet hands minimise removal of slime, dry hands is like trying to wipe it of the fish....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree with Lasse.

Flycasting Definitions
Flyfishfairwx

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Front Page on the way shortly, read the Science.

I will provide links, also it's funny the people who have gotten the most pissed at me for putting this info out there are the guides!!

They think I'm trying to steal money from them, stupid fucks I'm trying to extend the time we have these big fish so they can make money longer !!

Just modify the hero shot to mean keeping the fish in the water !!

Sigh!!
Everybody has to believe in something and I believe in Fly fishing and Fly tying and believe I will.
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

There was a fish that was caught, handled, photographed and released over 30 times one season on the upper Young River, NZ. And this was by guided clients.

Flycasting Definitions
Flyfishfairwx

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Paul Arden wrote:There was a fish that was caught, handled, photographed and released over 30 times one season on the upper Young River, NZ. And this was by guided clients.

Does not change the facts, exception to the rule. hardy fish, twins, prove it , sounds like second hand information and we all know how fly fishing stories mystically expand with each telling ??

excellent environment for recovery, New Zealand , has that, or did ????????
Everybody has to believe in something and I believe in Fly fishing and Fly tying and believe I will.
As in the army I have never had a bad day fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:I agree with Lasse.
Wow, I have to go and lay down now for 7½ minutes :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Does not change what facts? I'm giving you some!

Flycasting Definitions
Flyfishfairwx

Post by Flyfishfairwx »

Paul Arden wrote:Does not change what facts? I'm giving you some!

The facts as provided by scientists, and Biologists, in the studies.

You're giving me an anecdotal statement of a phantom fish that several different people claim that they caught several times over, show me proof, and lets see if the fish is still alive, when did this happen , multiple pictures of the fish from one catch??

Caught 30 times in one season, tough dumb fish, seems it did not become conditioned as I seem you suggested they do after being caught a couple of times..

Paul I trust you, hell I even believe you , that does not change the fact that learned men and women are saying that we have to adjust the way we handle fish if we want to stem the decline of big fish in the rivers and world in general..

PS Isent in the Front page!

Return to “Announcements”