PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

American Flyfishers

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

American Flyfishers

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys, Americans actually :p

I'm currently looking at the rod prices with the new site coming out shortly. I need to be active in the USA! And have a cunning plan to emigrate for extensive periods of the year. Anyway what I would like to know is at what exact price point should I place?

How do you buy top end rods, do you look at the price of top end models and take the cheaper or the more expensive?

We have a higher quality rod than SAGE for example. This is my belief anyway. The blank is a corker - I designed it :p The finish is unbelievable. It really is a very niche product in some regards and it's bloody expensive to make! But I would say that :sorcerer:

Currently we're a little under Sage One and a little bit more under than the METHOD. I think the METHOD is a good price so either a little under or over I'm guessing! Our problem is in the UK we are MASSIVELY less than these SAGE rods, and of course with "perceived value" it can work agains us.

Maybe we just charge you guys less and the Europeans more. :pirate:

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

American Flyfishers

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Walter. When I originally priced it I did so by asking myself how much I would like to pay. Which is how I came up with a figure of 500 pounds. Maybe that's still the best way. For then I can really stand by it!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Nick
Answers: 0

American Flyfishers

Post by Nick »

Pretty much everyone I know thinks that sage rods are massively overpriced.
alex vulev

American Flyfishers

Post by alex vulev »

Nick wrote:Pretty much everyone I know thinks that sage rods are massively overpriced.
oh, i was close to be burned alive once when i said it loudly :???:
Wise indeed was George Selwyn Marryat when he said: "its not the fly; its the driver"

page 193,
GEM Skues,The Way Of A Trout With A Fly
Paul Arden
Site Admin

American Flyfishers

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't agree. I think Korean made rods are massively overpriced. The margins involved are far greater. It costs me 20 times as much to make a rod in Europe compared to the Far East. Anyway, that's just how it is.

Living the way I do maybe I've lost touch of inflation. I was very comfortable paying 450 pounds for a Loomis IMX as a student at the age of 21. Now I don't want to pay over 600 pounds for the top rod. Maybe if I lived in the UK for the past 20 years I would see differently.

Anyway, I'm playing pool - back later :p

Cheers,
Jungle pool champion of Royal Belum and Temenggor Forests

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

American Flyfishers

Post by Paul Arden »

I actually think that's the biggest irony of all! It currently costs me around 200 pounds to make a rod. I suspect it might go slightly above this because Trev wants more money and quite frankly I'm going to pay him. Yes the margin is excellent. But most shops work on a good margin too, Sage is around 120% in the UK with bulk buying - it's a lot less in the U.S.

I don't know what is costs to make a Sage rod (certainly less than mine!) but I do know I can buy a finished rod in Asia for 15-20USD. My Portugese cork grip costs me more than that!

But having dealt with manufacturers and distributors I know categorically that a) I can't make the quality of rod I want in Asia and b) if I did it would immediately be sold under a different brand name.

Anyway the way I see it is this: Sage both produce an absolutely fantastic product and push the boundaries. No question. They have top notch designers who do this. It costs them a hell of a lot more to manufacture a U.S. rod than a Korean one. Compared to a Korean rod that costs 15 USD to buy and is sold for several hundred pounds it's a steal!!

Finally.... I personally do believe that a good rod will make you a better caster. I know it does for me.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

American Flyfishers

Post by t.z. »

Hm - as far as I remember the mathematics of distribution and sales - it is 100% markup per level - so from 200 pounds manufacturing cost plus development and braking prototypes and so 400 / 500 in direct sales sounds very reasonable and fair. Not that I want to pay that much ... but you know .... just saying ;-)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

American Flyfishers

Post by Paul Arden »

It depends on the industry of course. The smaller the scale the larger the mark-up. Do bulk and then you work on much smaller margins. Unless you sell Korean fishing rods of course!!

Flycasting Definitions
Barrio

American Flyfishers

Post by Barrio »

So ....... are they collectable yet Paul?

Would anybody like to make me a seriously good offer for my Hot Torpedo serial number one?

Cheers
Mike
Barrio Fly Lines : At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

American Flyfishers

Post by Paul Arden »

I think they'll only be collectible when I'm dead, Mike :p

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Announcements”