PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Eureka moments - Scotty's page

Moderator: Paul Arden

t.z.
Answers: 0

Post by t.z. »

Yes, salmon flies are something. Especially when executed like the one shown. Amazing stuff.
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Paul Arden wrote:
I'm not sure my biggest Eureka moment.

I'm searching for Eureka moments right now.
That snippage is a good version on my short answer. I learn something every time I fish which is what makes it so delightful. The significance of the learning obviously varies from "Duly Noted" to "Bugger Me" experiences. Yep I remember my first fish, which was caught on a self tied fly. One of about 4 flies I keep and treasure.

Two things stand out if I don't think about it too deeply or analytically. 1) The evening rise on Lake Eucumbene when I saw my then mentor make a 60 foot pupa presentation to a chironomid feeder and hook up 2 seconds later. I was struggling to cast 50' at that time and it showed me what was possible down the endless road ahead. I'd bet serious money on being able to walk you to that exact spot some 26 years later. 2) The day I deeply realised that the organising idea for everything about fly fishing is knowing the beast we hunt.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
al greig

Post by al greig »

One of my Eureka moments ties in with Scotty's FP from this week too. It also concerns Mark Surtees. A man who can indeed break all things casting related down to a very uncomplicated level for the uninitiated. Upon watching me cast at one of the SL Gatherings in Strathdon, he made an observation that was startling in its simplicity -

"Your back-cast is shite."

No leeks necessary! And he was right - it was a shite back-cast :D

Another Eureka moment came while fishing a run full of rising trout one late spring afternoon a couple of years ago. I was doing everything right, from position, to tackle, to fly, to drift. I think I caught every trout I cast to. I realised that sometimes, the trout just don't have a choice - they have to take your fly. It took a little of the shine off the day, because some of the mystery disappeared.

Al.

Return to “Announcements”