PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Embedding YouTube

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Embedding YouTube

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't think it's either/or but instead both pushing and pulling working together (i.e. when not casting into your truck).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Embedding YouTube

Post by Graeme H »

I don't think you can push an object with a piece of string.
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Embedding YouTube

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:p
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Embedding YouTube

Post by Graeme H »

... which is the same as having the rod leg move backwards (relative to the fly leg).

This video has the fly line lying on the road and I'm dragging the rod tip (and the line) backwards:

FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Embedding YouTube

Post by Paul Arden »

I can never see your videos Lasse, for some reason the embed doesn't work on either iPhone or MacBooks. I'll check out the replacement code this weekend.

I used to believe that, Graeme, but it's apparently not true. Of course the top leg in part continues because of its momentum, but not because of the Conservation of Momentum. I believe I'm right in saying that that does apply to angular momentum in the loop, but you'll have to have James explain that to you. He tried to explain it to me over Toffee Vodka and that's not going to work.

Unfortunately we don't have a really good explanation of loop propagation that all the other engineers can agree with :( Not yet anyway! :pirate: Merlin has done a lot of work in this area.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Embedding YouTube

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul, I can't see them either on a phone, plugin not supported it says... No problem on laptop though...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Embedding YouTube

Post by Graeme H »

Unfortunately we don't have a really good explanation of loop propagation that all the other engineers can agree with :( Not yet anyway! :pirate: Merlin has done a lot of work in this area.
That really surprises me because I think it's a very simple thing to explain. Ah well, I'm not worried about it.

Maybe when I'm sitting on your houseboat with stiff arms after a day of hauling in snakehead, we can discuss it. :) Too hard online, separated by computers.

Cheers,
Graeme

(The secret is to stop thinking the loop has importance in the cast. It doesn't. The fly still smashes into the window of a car even if there is no loop.)
FFi CCI
VGB

Embedding YouTube

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: I used to believe that, Graeme, but it's apparently not true. Of course the top leg in part continues because of its momentum, but not because of the Conservation of Momentum. I believe I'm right in saying that that does apply to angular momentum in the loop, but you'll have to have James explain that to you. He tried to explain it to me over Toffee Vodka and that's not going to work.

We did video the explanation:

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Announcements”