PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Dealing with spam help!

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Dealing with spam help!

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys, I know that there are some internet gurus on here. How do you deal with Spam?

I have the Sexyloops email address diverted to gmail and pick it up that way. But quite often I find genuine emails in the junk box.

I’m also more than a little concerned that sometimes my sent emails are rejected. I send from paul@sexyloops.com as well as mrsexyloops@gmail.com but I also have the belumfishing domain that I haven’t set up yet. I’ve seriously been considering emailing through that domain.

Often I get Board registration enquiries that I always answer but many don’t post or reply. I sometimes wonder if the email has been rejected!

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
carlz
Answers: 0

Re: Dealing with spam help!

Post by carlz »

For the out bound email. It is possible that "Sexy" is hitting the keyword filters for some people, but I don't know what you can do about that.

As for inbound emails. Gmail is pretty good at tuning based on what you select. so got through your spam and tag everything you want as "not-spam".
I also just expect there to be things that I miss occasionally.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks but even when I move stuff from junk to my inbox I notice that the replies often end up coming back to junk, so I assumed that just doesn’t work!

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

Paul, in my former career I was an email administrator and dealt with email security. If you send to me an email that was marked as spam, as an attachment, I can take a look at the internet header and see what's going on. It can take a bit to analyze it, and I'm rusty, but I'll give it a good spin. I have a suspicion as to what might be going on. I'll reach out to you via email and, providing you receive it, you can reply with said email that was marked spam.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Great thanks Carol!!! I’ve since moved messages and deleted all the junk. I’ll have a look in my laptop but I suspect I might have to wait for another to arrive. Have seen your email - thanks. I shall reply shortly because I don’t know what it means :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Carol

Post by Carol »

The gist of it is that Google may junk email from sending servers that are not using DMARC. In order to implement DMARC, you also need to implement SPF (which you already have on sexyloops.com) and DKIM. It's kind of like needing more than one thing to get a SLP of the rod tip. :laugh:

Somewhere I have a powerpoint that explains it. Just can't seem to find the memory stick I put the dang thing on. It may be gone and I didn't upload it to Mega.nz first. :(

The best way for me to analyze it is for you to send me an email from the sexyloops.com domain. It doesn't have to contain anything, just a subject and a sentence. Could even be a sentence from a Merlin post that I don't understand. :D :D :D I will look at the internet header, which will tell me if DKIM is in place.
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Carol. Have sent you a SL email! 😀

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Announcements”