PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Ci test questions

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Simon Svahn
Answers: 0

Ci test questions

Post by Simon Svahn »

Ok so its on. I read the test almost every day and cast with my Micro rod indoors. First proper outdoor casting should be in march, bloody cold here now.

Im gonna whip out some questions here:)

First question. When do you slip/not slip line in the reach mend? I do both. I dont slip when its windy cause it slows down my turnover. I slip when there is no wind? When i want to cast longer?

I do alot of stuff when i fish, and most of it i dont think about. And now i have to learn how to explain This in a simple manner to a beginner/intermediate caster, its gonna be fun! This summer i will work 2 days a week with the local tackle shop, holding their flyfishing courses wich feels like good prep for september :)

So, keep it simple right? More questions comming!

Simon
Graeme H

Ci test questions

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Simon,

You'll be required to both slip and not slip line during the reach mend in the exam. You'll also need to know when and why you do both.

(I answered: I don't slip line when I want to restrict the length of the cast unexpectedly, for example, when a fish rises closer to me than I was originally planning for.)

I'm no expert at this, but I'd be using the winter months (where you can't cast) to be develop lesson plans for the latter questions in the exam. They are the ones that really need work for most people and they don't require a lot of actual casting to develop those plans.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Bernd Ziesche

Ci test questions

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Simon,
in my book of teaching the old style Reach cast (or as the IFFF these days prefers Reach mend) is done without shooting und being easier to control for most students. Thus it makes for a faster success often. The disadvantage is that you overline the fish first. This is especially not so good when having the sun in your back. Shadow of line easily may spook the fish.
When you instead shoot in line you don't have to overline the fish first. Much better but a tad harder to control. Simply needs mor practise to really control. I recommend to always train both on a particular small target. Without that both casts often get useless during fishing.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Ci test questions

Post by Paul Arden »

I use both of course. The question is really about gauging accuracy and the advantages of each. One of my prime uses for a reach cast is when a Snakehead rises next to the boat, I can make a reach cast to place the fly accurately within a rod length, yet still have a leader and a couple of metres of flyline out the tip, and when I pull the fly it doesn't directly swim at the boat but instead along side of it.

It's not a big question on the exam by the way. But it is without doubt one of the most useful presentation casts. This and the collapsed cast are the two most useful.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Simon Svahn

Ci test questions

Post by Simon Svahn »

Thanks guys, help noted in my papers!

I often use a combination of a reach mend and a parchute cast when fishing. Everything from streamers to dries, downstream upstream and across.

So task 21 continous tension cast? Anyone got a video of it? I think it can be something similar to What i use when casting heavy nymf rigs sometimes.

Simom
Boisker

Ci test questions

Post by Boisker »

Hey Simon
You may have already watched these....
As I'm not prepping for my IFFF I can't really say if they are useful or not, but I watched them ages ago and found some useful bits of info to analyse my own faults with...
https://vimeo.com/87753464
https://vimeo.com/87322664
https://vimeo.com/44132341
Boisker

Ci test questions

Post by Boisker »

[quote="Simon Svahn"

So task 21 continous tension cast? Anyone got a video of it? I think it can be something similar to What i use when casting heavy nymf rigs sometimes.

Simom[/quote]

I like this new game Simon...
You can safely ignore my answers... I ain't an instructor or expert, but good to test what I think I may or may not know....

So I'd guess.... a Belgian cast?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Ci test questions

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not sure that "continous tension" is a good way of describing this cast. It really is just a cast in two different planes. Also I disagree with its usage :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Ci test questions

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Damn, I agree with Paul, poor start this year :D
Task 21: Demonstrate to an intermediate student how to cast with a head wind and a tail
wind. Then demonstrate three methods of casting safely with the wind blowing onto the
casting arm side. (Hauling is permitted.)
Simon, how would you answer these?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Simon Svahn

Ci test questions

Post by Simon Svahn »

Thanks boisker i will watch these!

Lasse

When you cast in head wind want to tilt the casting plane downward and increase line speed so that the line straightens just above the surface. (demo tilt, double haul and maybe cradle grip). If shooting line do it on the backast.

When casting in tail wind you want a plane parallel to the ground or slighly tilted back If no obstackles. Powerful loop on backast to penetrate wind, Wider loop on forward to avoid tangle and flies hitting the rod. Let the wind help you.

Then I would demo twisting the wrist (Mel Krieger), casting over opposite shoulder and finally using my other arm.

I never liked the side arm cast in wind.

Simon

Return to “Teaching”