PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

becoming a good fly caster

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

my student just couldnt desing a circle in the air with the rod tip
Really ? Most folk without a serious disability just need to be shown how.

Could he describe a little circle in the air with the rod butt Michal ? or a pen, chalk, a breadstick, twiglets, cucumbers, a chopstick, leeks.....you can make the circles bigger and smaller as you see fit. Then, what about trying circles with a pint of beer in his hand, a mug of coffee or a glass of water.

These things can help train the wrist for resistance and get articulation of the elbow and shoulder under control...It's pretty easy to gently introduce the effects of bend after that just by adding rod sections one by one and finally loading it all up with a short line.

Usually works for me anyway.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:The movement qualities needed for the different sports you mention are different, I'm not surpriced that your eldest took it on like a demon....

I'm curious though that the skills in basket and volley hasn't helped you, but Mark has a good point!
Hi All

I think that the movement qualities may be trained into you and something to do with control of muscle twitch fibres. I agree that I overthink the movement but if I relax and let go, I will hit it and tail every time.
Ps. White mans rythm is a myth!
I could have gone to Jamacia:

[youtube][/youtube] :upside:

regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

something to do with control of muscle twitch fibres.
See....you're doing it again.

Do you think about your muscle twitch fibres when you are using a knife and fork ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote:
Bernd Ziesche wrote:In fly casting I have seen quite some very good casters, which I think would never make it to a top level in those other sports. So my question is how much of those physical and sensomotoric abilities do we really need to become a top fly caster?
Interesting comment and one that has bothered me. Sport has never been a problem for me but I have struggled with fly casting, same with my middle son. My eldest lad, who is not a natural sportsman in the traditional sense find it easy. Which particular abilities do you think that a fly caster needs that is not prevalent in traditional sports?
Hi Vince,
sorry, I did not mean to bother you of course. ;)
Let me add a few more thoughts here. If we want to train people for a 100meter sprint, I think many would never make it below 15 seconds. The best sprinters are below 10 seconds. Am pretty much sure, those being below 10 seconds were born with a very specific set of high level physical as well as sensomotoric skills. And I believe they would do very well in many kind of sports. Instead those having to carry lots of weight while having relatively short legs at the same time would (I think) never get even close to 15 seconds. Also older people would significally loose their ability to stay within the top range.
Within fly casting I don't see the need for such high level physical skills. We don't have to force our bodies until the extreme limits to achieve a very good fly casting level.
Chris pointed out "motivation", Lasse pointed out "will" and I agree those to be very important. Lasse also pointed out training must take place after a lesson as Paul and I already wrote, too. Besides that I do believe that the highest will does not help much as long as one does not understand a lot of details about fly casting.
I believe, that understanding the process helps to become a pretty good fly caster within much shorter time and it is the foundation to achieve a significant higher level simply.
Reading about you struggling on fly casting leads me to ask, if you had a few good lessons yet?
Those being a natural sportsman I never saw struggling really when having a good lesson.
Now you may want to ask what do I understand to be a good lesson. Simply the one helping you to get over all points you are struggling on in short time. A good lesson should offer you "drills" (exercises) helping you to get better in those parts you are struggling. In my experience people struggling in fly casting was in 95% based on not understanding what they were doing wrong. Having pointed out the causes and offering a good exercise, they (with some will of course) could jump up the latter fast afterwards.
In the end we find young people, older people, thinner people (like me and Lasse :p ), more weighty people (am not giving any example here :ninja: ), small people, tall people, men and women all being able to hit a very good level in fly casting.
What usually those being in the top range did have in common:
They had a serious amount of lessons with a lot of different experts. It might have been in forms of exchanging knowledge or in forms of official lessons etc. But they did have the exchange and finally understood a lot about the HOW and WHY.
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Michal Duzynski wrote: I had exactly the same case, my student just couldnt desing a circle in the air with the rod tip, but who knows how he is going to cast in a week.
Hi Michal,
good points all along your post.
It happened to me quite some times, that in the beginning of a lesson a student made me think: "My goodness." And then somewhere close to the end of the lesson, I again was surprised in opposite (positive) direction.

You mentioned Lasse to have become a very good caster (which I agree on). I think Lasse, Paul and a few others have one thing in common: They do exactly know HOW to cast a fly. They can see what someone is doing wrong within seconds and have a solution to help to improve immediately then. That of course helps one's own casting skills as well.
During the past days I trained my Spey casting with my left (non dominant) hand. It is impressive for me to see how well and fast I can shape the loops in almost exactly the way I want them to be. It was so much harder to learn that on my right handed side. The reason: Today I know how it can be done and then just have to do get my left arm to do it. Starting on my regular side many years ago I had no clue about HOW to do it.
I shall add there was some serious will behind learning casting on both sides. I changed my daily life to the left hand a while ago. I did that until everything went significant more natural for me (2-3 month maybe). After having done it, it never went away again (even without training)!
Greets
Bernd
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: but if I relax and let go, I will hit it and tail every time.
Hi Vince,
what are the reasons why you tail?
Greets
Bernd
Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet »

VGB wrote: but if I relax and let go, I will hit it and tail every time.
hi Vince,
to me that says you're not relaxing and letting go even though you might think so. 'letting go' would have the subconscious take over the task like with all the other automatic things we do in life (like shifting gears in a car or eating, we tend to get the right gear without thinking of how to do it and it's pretty rare that people stick a fork in their eye. (except for dumb pirates :pirate:) anyhow, it's pretty safe to assume nobody's subconscious wants to make tailing loops ! :D

cheers,
marc
VGB

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote:Do you think about your muscle twitch fibres when you are using a knife and fork ?
What sort of restaurant are we talking about :p

I had a lesson when I started fishing and then fished for 10 years, no more lessons were necessary because I caught loads of fish :whistle: It is only in the last year that I have actually looked at what is needed and had a couple of lessons, plus the days in Finchley and Caer Beris.

I believe there are 2 reasons why I tail, creeping and hitting the cast hard from the outset and the only way for me to control these tendencies for me at the moment is to consciously monitoring what I am doing. I believe I can train these out of myself but it is slow going. For me "letting go" removes blocks, I have caught falling bird shit on pure unconscious reaction and can usually stop something hitting the floor, using either hand, if it falls out of a cupboard. Perhaps I'd be better chucking harpoons at rising fish instead of casting a fly :p

regards

Vince

Will

Post by Will »

Couldn't resist:
Attachments
practiseknowledgeability.jpg
Lineslinger
Barrio Pro-team
SGAIC
AAPGAI

"The only advice it is necessary to give the angler… is to avoid any approach to foppery, as trout have the most thorough contempt for a fop…”
WC Stewart
VGB

Post by VGB »

So do you think I should practise Will :D

Return to “Teaching”