PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Changes in teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Changes in teaching

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking about Drift and it's become more of a rarity that I teach it, certainly I make less of it than I did say 20 years ago. I wonder if that's because rods are generally stiffer now? Or maybe it's just that I've changed! I know that one problem I have with teaching it, is that it can immediately get bad results and often there are more important things to teach in one lesson.

I do think that it's important to learn, at least for an all-rounded caster.

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Boisker

Changes in teaching

Post by Boisker » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:41 am

Hey Paul
Drift is something I've only really played with and introduced in the last 12 months, but still only for longer casts and generally when I'm practicing... mostly as I rarely need to cast long when fishing.... (when I say long :D I doubt many would consider it long on the forum)
I probably only drift when I am practicing from 60' through to 90'.

At what distance do you start drifting?
Or perhals more interestingly do you see it as being distance related at all?

Cheers
Matt

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Changes in teaching

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

Hi Matt,

It's not really about distance for me, One major application is widen the available arc for a change in speed (ie casting into a headwind) - but there are many other uses of course.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Bernd Ziesche

Changes in teaching

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 am

Hi Paul,
I teach drift in nearly every single and double hand lesson. Not at a large part but for some minutes.
I teach it as a valuable tool for mainly shorter heads in the first place and then show why on longer heads it works better to use a wider arc (for accel.) in order to create the desired (higher) speed.
Maybe you have been using the MED a lot and with that long headed line use drift a lot less but a wider arc without drifting instead?

I have seen Göran Andersson teaching his Andersson style on double hand casting having drift always included. Many students I met who entered his lessons indeed struggled on the drift part. Göran for a long time though started by teaching his students to cast without a fly line on the rod for the first hours. Based on my own experience I prefer to teach casting without drift first and then add drift (in the same lesson) as an option to become advanced. Casting without a fly line never worked for me since most of my students find it kind of boring.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

crunch

Changes in teaching

Post by crunch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm

For a caster who Creeps teaching and learning Drift is very beneficial! I becan Creeping very bad almost ten years ago when I bought heavy Skagit line and watched Skagit casting videos and soon I did Creep when I was Underhanding. IMHO the CL/CM principle in Skagit is very bad!

Drifting is good casting trick to increase distance without changing to heavier setup!

Esa

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Changes in teaching

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi guys, I think one of the problems I have with teaching drift as a fix to creep is that it's being used as a fix and not a tool. I do the same of course because it is effective. But when the caster is good and you introduce drift you risk the caster losing control - lack of tension. And generally speaking you can only really teach one or three things in a lesson and there are many much more useful things to learn.

Good point on the head length Bernd. With short heads I would most probably be teaching it far more often.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”