PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rectify a horizontal Backcast Loop

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:Because it's so engrained I believe you have to go right back to scratch.
I think this point is going to be key. It requires a complete reboot of their cast.

One of the other keys is something you said earlier too: start the back cast with the palm facing down. It's almost impossible to carry out that sweeping sideways back cast from that starting position.

When the thread slows down, I'll make a summary of the points to remember and drills I can use. When I work with my next student, I'll see what works (if anything.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul,

Yep.

Joan recognizes that the Power snap is THE thing that 'drives' the cast/line, as I noted when casting a short line there is no Loading move, only Power snap. As for her descriptions - they are just that - IMHO. They work quite well for teaching in my experience.

Not to change topics here, but hey it's Sexyloops ;) ... Besides Instructor types (actual, certified, or past dues paying, and candidates) never have I had a student give a flying fck what the Stroke is or isn't. I care - I teach movements to do to form a loop and movements to do after the loop forms.

Yes, Peter does teach the waterfall - it's a nice visual. I see it as related to the white mouse of the Spey world. By the way, who the fck named the line spray a white mouse?!

tag,,
Craig
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It might have been Simon for all I know :cool:

Well not to go around in a circle but... it's not a loading move. Of course it works because it's the motion that is necessary to make, but to call it loading is simply wrong. If I wanted to load the rod I would accelerate it against the water tension, when in fact that's exactly what we don't want. It's a non-loading move repositioning the line from the water to above.

I've met lots of students who want to understand fly casting. It's a disservice to them not to have proper functioning definitions! Fly casting instructors are the only instructors I know who believe that definitions are too complicated for their students to understand.

When are you coming over to fish? :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

And the biggest annoyance I have in the instructor world is the fear of teaching "style". Style is why they come!

:cool:

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote:And the biggest annoyance I have in the instructor world is the fear of teaching "style". Style is why they come!

"I want to cast like you!" < that I often hear - feels good - and so I oblige as best I can.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:And the biggest annoyance I have in the instructor world is the fear of teaching "style". Style is why they come!

Since the vast majority of instructors teach style, and claim their to be the bees knees, dogs bollocks and what not, its safe to say you are annoyed by petty things :D :D :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I find it a bit hard NOT to teach style. The topic for this thread is an example: for all of these guys, that horizontal backcast loop is their style. Correcting the fault means their style must change.

For them, it's not a fault until they want to hit targets that they can't currently present to (longer on the FC or accurately on the BC). They could happily keep their current style if they never wanted to improve themselves.

And I don't think there is anything wrong with being the inspiration that drives people towards improving their casting. If I had never watched our club president* casting, I would have stayed at beginner level much longer. Paul himself has been a great inspiration to me, driving my development with simple (and bloody amazing) videos of his casting.

Cheers,
Graeme

* Incidentally, the club president is one of the guys who has this particular error in his natural casting stroke. When I first saw him casting, I didn't see it as a fault because I knew no better. From a distance, his back cast loops look razor-sharp! When you're a beginner, you think this is how it's supposed to look!
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Actually, its not really style, its a flaw in their technique if they aren't able to throw the loop in different planes.
But its a great excuse to claim something is due to casting style, makes it much easier to dismiss having something to work on. And makes it so easy to claim this and that doesn't work for their style.

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think we may have different ideas as to what constitutes "style" :p but as far as I'm concerned when someone comes to a lesson because they "want to learn to do it properly" what I take this to mean is that they are looking for a little more style in their casting. Theory you can read in a book or find on the Internet.

Here's a question, is it possible to have a similar style when moving between 170, Rajeff distance and closed stance accuracy? In other words can you tell if its the same caster making all three casts from a distance (or if his head is covered by a bucket)?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

If I know the caster, then yes.

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Teaching”